Aries

The astrological sign of Aries and its personality

You express your vital energy in a very cut and dried way, you do not resist taking the driver's seat and you may come across as arrogant.

Charging ahead also implies hurting yourself and being suddenly overcome by doubt. As a result, your courage, your honesty, your enthusiasm and your straightforwardness may turn into aggressiveness, rebellion and vulnerability that no one ever suspected.

Fortunately, the level of your energy is very high and your instinctive and pugnacious side will not leave you helpless for too long and will set you back on the often perilous road to conquest and glory.

Aries' sayings and key-words

The sentence "I am" captures the character of Aries, an individualist first and foremost.

Aries is courageous, frank, enthusiastic, dynamic, fast, bold, expansive, warm, impulsive, adventurous, intrepid, warlike, and competitive.

But sometimes it is also naive, domineering, self-centred, impatient, rash, thoughtless, blundering, childish, quick-tempered, daring or primitive.

The sign of Aries and its astrological characteristics

Rulership and exaltation in Aries

Each astrological sign has traits which are similar to, or different from, those of certain planets. They are known as planetary dignities. The planet having the strongest affinities with a sign is said to rule the sign and to be in its domicile, i.e. at home. It expresses itself with all its might, unreservedly. When a planet does not match a sign too well but remains compatible, it is in its exaltation. It gets its strength and its energy from the said sign though to a lesser extent than a planet in domicile.

The sign of Aries is in analogy with Mars, its ruler. It gets along well with the Sun, the planet which is in exaltation here. The same holds true for Pluto, although some astrologers think that Pluto's exaltation is in Pisces or in Leo.

The astrological sign of Aries shares several features with the planet Mars: fighting spirit, dynamism, courage, boldness, spontaneity, but also impulsiveness and sometimes anger.

To a lesser degree, the Sun's characteristics also influence this sign, i.e. individualism, honour, leadership, loyalty, but in the flip side, hubris or egocentrism.

It must be noted that the interpretation of each zodiacal sign echoes the meaning of its House: the first sign and the 1st House, etc. Therefore, Aries, the first zodiacal sign, is in analogy with the 1st House: ego, willpower, instinctive behaviour in society.

Aries Elements, Quadruplicities, and Polarities

Fire element of Aries
The twelve zodiacal signs are divided into four sectors matching the four elements: Fire, Earth, Air, and Water. An element includes three compatible signs (triplicity), each element being mutually complementary.

Aries, like Leo and Sagittarius, is a Fire sign: This element provides the native with energy, ardour, and passion, but it may incline to violence, aggressiveness, lack of tact, and anger. Therefore, Fire may be dangerous, uncontrollable, and impulsive since it is difficult to master. It symbolises immoderate ambition, courage, the will to fight, dominate and conquer, but it also favours spiritual elevation, extreme lucidity, and it purifies the soul.

The Cardinal mode of Aries
Signs are also divided into three sectors comprising four signs each. They are the Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable sectors. Quadruplicities are also referred to as mode: the Cardinal mode, the Fixed mode, and the Mutable mode. Like elements, they rule different values and have characteristics of their own.