20

Niall’s POV

I dig my hand around inside of my pocket for a minute until I feel the paper box and lighter I am looking for. It only takes me a second to light it and take a long drag. I blow out a cloud of smoke blurring my vision instantly. I close my eyes and lean my head back onto the brick wall of the bar. I can hear my da's voice telling me it'll kill me like I don't already know that. He never touched a kill stick in his life and yet he is still gone. I inhale deeply again.

Visions of her biting her lip, eyes rolling to the back of her head, her mouth falling open slightly in ecstasy haunts my memory. The sound of her ragged breaths and sweet moans growing louder inside of my overwhelmed mind.

“I didn’t know you smoked.”

I raise an eyebrow at the small brunette standing three feet away from me. I was so lost in my mind I hadn’t even heard her step out here. To be honest I didn’t know her before tonight. I don’t even remember her name. I watch as her hungry eyes begin to mark me. Little did she know I’m not someone who gets marked or claimed. The smell of the cigarette smoke does little to block out the strong intoxicating sexual scent that is keeping me aroused. Aroused for no one but her and that angers me.  

“Whut’s it tah ya?” I say through my teeth as the half burned stick rests between my lips.

She steps closer to me. I can see her adamant arousal and for the first time in a long time it’s not doing much for me. I stay still as she slowly makes her way to me. I continue to inhale the deadly smoke, exhaling straight ahead not caring if it’s directly into this girl’s face. She stretches up onto her tiptoes bringing her lips close to my ear. I can feel her warm breath against the skin of my neck.

“It doesn’t bother me any.” She says seductively.

I look down toward her pressing my nose into her neck. Inhaling I am attacked by the strong floral scent that is nauseating me to my stomach. I think of how different it is to Amelia’s soft warm vanilla scent.

“Fuck.” I say under my breath.

“Yes.” She smiles widely.

“Yeh should get outta here.” I say firmly looking away from her.

“Seriously!” She bursts.

Someone’s throat clearing interferes her tantrum. I turn to look at the welcomed intruder seeing his curious brown bloodshot eyes. I smirk a crooked smile at my longtime friend.

“Whatever.” She says before turning and stomping back inside of the bar like a child.

“Was I interrupting something?” Liam smiles.

“I wus finished.” I say dropping the barely there cigarette.

He moves to stand beside me against the brick wall. We both look up into the star filled night sky. It’s quiet out here with only a few soft murmurs from inside the bar. The street is empty, the town fast asleep.

“Ni do you know what you’re doing?”

Of course, leave it to Liam to be the observant one. He cares too much about everyone. That’s why he is so loved. He’s always the one going on about what’s right and wrong.

“Whut?” I ask anyway.

“I see the way you look at her. It’s just..she’s Lou’s sister man. She isn’t like the others. She’s special.” He stresses.

I watch the light post at the corner of the street flicker on and off. I follow the moths flying all around the bulb. How simple their life must be.