21

Songs for the Chapter:

Winds of Change- Vance Joy

Possibility- Lykke Li

Ghosts- James Vincent McMorrow

“Honestly Mia, honey I am surprised you’re here.”

I watch the faint yellow liquid slowly fall into the glass flute elegantly. Other than the sound of some birds chirping it’s a very peaceful morning. It’s not too hot or too cold. It’s just right. The slight breeze catches wind beneath my coral colored boho styled dress.

I open my lips to respond but nothing comes out. I finally look up toward her soft warm eyes. The same eyes I have always ran to when I felt sad or lost, the same ones that I told any exciting news to first, the ones that have been there my whole life. I can see the longing in them. She is sincere.

“I’m sorry mother, I’ve just been a bit caught up at work and getting settled into my home is all..I’ll be sure to make more time to come visit.” I promise.

She smiles widely reaching over the table to place a biscuit and some jelly on my plate. Brunch with my mother this Sunday morning is exactly what I need after the long two days I have gone through. I refuse my mind the opportunity to think back at them now. Then again I don’t seem to have any control over my thoughts anymore. I definitely can’t control my feelings as of late and it’s irritating. I force myself to get lost inside of my mother’s work and drama at the hospital.  

“So anyways that is a little of my week..” she says laughing.

“Exactly why I decided not to work at the hospital mother, my office is very peaceful and peace is what I can use a lot of lately.” I respond.

She reaches her hand over the table resting it on top of my own, “Darling, in life everyone makes mistakes, but forgiveness is key and second chances should be given.”

He explodes into my mind like an atomic bomb, his blonde hair, blue eyes, and inked arms letting me think of nothing else. I hate that I miss his presence. It’s barely been over a day since I have seen him last out in the parking lot to the tavern. It doesn’t matter anyway, I am more than sure I made it clear I wasn’t interested and he doesn’t seem like someone to pursue those who don’t want to be pursued. “..but you do want to be.” The voice inside of my head is loud.

“Now I don’t exactly know what occurred between you and Joshua but you have to admit that you two are the perfect couple..” my mother’s voice brings me back to the present.

Of course she is talking about Josh.

"Things aren't always as they seem mother." I say. 

“Whatever it was that you did, I am sure he will be more than willing to forgive you sweetie and take you back.”

“What?”

“I’m just saying you should call him..”

“You aren’t serious.” I snap.

“Amelia baby, whatever it is..”

“No mom! God, are you serious? Do you really think that this is because of me? I find that hard to believe that you thought that one out all on your own and if you had then you don’t know me at all.” I say angrily.

“Mia..sweetheart calm dow..”

“I CAUGHT HIM IN BETWEEN MY SO CALLED FRIEND’S LEGS!”

My mother’s jaw drops open. I shake my head realizing what just happened. I reach down and pick up the plates and glasses I had dropped. I place them gently back onto the table avoiding all eye contact with my mother. Their maid and butler quickly come out to clean the mess.