Chapter 10

Dancing with your ghost- Sasha Alex Sloan

AZ

You know those scenes in movies where the protagonist can't hear anything but their own heartbeat? When everything around is happening but it doesn't affect them? They can't hear but they can see and everything is happening at 0.5x speed, slow motion and it all feels unreal. That's what's going on right now.

I see Shura crying and shaking Gramps. I read her lips calling Donald, I see the doctor talking to the nurses and I see other patients coming out to look at what's happening but I just stand there and breathe.

Lup-dup

Lup-dup

Lup-dup

Then a nurse passes by and hits my shoulder and I can hear again.

"I'm so sorry Miss." She says and walks away.

"Why are you sorry?" I ask her.

"For your grandfather's death" she says lowly.

"He isn't dead." I say, slightly offended by her words. "He probably just slipped back into a coma or something"

"No, he's dead. I'm so sorry, I know it's hard but it will get better"

"No. He isn't dead."

"Miss"

"No! You shut up!" I say and push her shoulder.

"What's going on?" The doctor asks.

"Can you believe this woman?" I ask and look at her. "She just said my grandfather is dead. The nerve right?"

"I know this is hard to accept but... Your grandfather just passed away. We tried to revive him but... we couldn't. I'm sorry" he says and I laugh.

"No doctor. Gramps isn't dead. He surely went into a coma again, but he's fine. He told me he won't be going anywhere anytime soon and he meant it. So don't stand there and give me that bullshit"

"Azinwi..." He says and puts his hand on my shoulder.

"No!" I yell and push it off. "You're both crazy! This hospital is so incompetent!" I yell and run into the ward. Shura is crying and crying and I want to slap her in the face. She should be on my side here, we should sue this hospital or something.

"Gramps, can you believe these people? They are saying you're dead. Even your own wife. Can you wake up and prove them wrong?" I ask but he just lies there.

I pull off the white cloth they used to cover him
"Get up. Get up Gramps." But nothing. "Hey! Hey! In a few hours you'll be discharged. It's not time to play sleeping beauty again. Wake up!"

The idiot doesn't get up. He just lies there.

"Gramps!" I yell.

"He's dead Az" Shura says and I shake my head no. "He died, he left us."

"No! No he didn't"

"Az...!"

"No! Shut the hell up! What is wrong with you?"

I can't believe her!

"Gramps!" I call and shake him. "Gramps!!"

I place my head on his chest but there's no heartbeat.

My heart starts racing and I stare at him for a couple of seconds.

"Gramps!" I yell and he stays there. "Will you wake the fuck up?! Open your god-damned eyes! Gramps!" I call and when he doesn't get up, I slap him.