Chapter 27

Song: The one that got away- Katy Perry

AZ

With a wet face and a splitting heart, I find my way to the building of the safehouse. I can't just get on a plane to Douala right now, I need some time to be alone, to think, to cry over the loss of the most precious thing to me.
There is no better place to do that than at the safehouse. That was our safe haven. I can at least bask in the memories at the very place they happened. I look for Sui and she is not at her usual spot. Where did she go? Fuck, I hope she didn't lose her job because of my carelessness last time. She walks back to her post and I feel relieved.
If another person was there I would have felt horrible, well more horrible than I do now.
I wait for when no one is watching neither her nor me and I approach her.

"Sui... hey"

"Az? Oh my God, what are you doing here?" she whispers

"I need you to..."

"Hello sir?" she answers over the phone and pleads with through her eyes to hold on. "Yes sir, it isn't till another fourteen minutes. Alright sir." She says and gets off the phone "Az you can't be here" she whispers.

"Sui, I just need you to give me the key to my goddamn apartment alright? I am tired and obviously a wreck right now so do me this one favour"

"Girl, you're always a wreck" she says and that statement hits me hard "Even if I wanted to, I can't."

"What do you mean you can't? Just open your drawer and give me the goddamn keys!"

"Don't yell." She says and I chill "I can't give you the keys because the place doesn't belong to you anymore."

"What?"

"After you ran away, your grandfather made sure all your rights from the apartment were stripped off. Now some guy lives there so you can't go there."

"Wha... wha... why didn't you tell me?"

"How was I supposed to? You were unreachable to everyone" that's right "I almost even lost my job. Someone snitched to the boss, saying they always saw us together and all. They almost even exposed the fact that I helped you with the paperwork to get the place. I had to lie and come up with stories to be here. As a matter of fact, you standing here is a danger to my job so it is best if you leave."

"Sui... I'm sorry for everything I put you through. But right now I just need a place to crash. Isn't there an empty room or something? Please"

"Not for you" she shakes her head. "After everything, your name became blacklisted" she informs me and I start crying there on her counter. "Come on Az"

"Just give me a minute" I plead and cry with my face buried in my folded arms.

"Az people are staring, this really isn't the best place for this right now"

"OK OK... I'm sorry" I say and look up. "I'll just look for a hotel not too far from here and maybe crash for a few hours. Sorry again and thanks for everything"

"Az hold on," she stops me as I leave "Here, these are the keys to my place. It's not far here"

Sui directs me and I take the keys before thanking her most honestly. Truth is she has helped me more than most people in my life. She has dealt with a lot of my shit and mood swings and although I pay her from time to time and for this or that, she still somehow feels genuine and like an elder sister to me.

She tells me where to leave the keys when I am done and I thank her one last time and bid her farewell before I leave the building. I get to the place she directed me to go to and I get on her bed, hug her pillow and let the tears flow. I let this happen, I fucked things up and now I can never go back. I just wanted a life with him in it, but my selfishness has cost me and too many people happiness already. It will be best if I leave.