Chapter 37

SHURA

My pregnancy turned 13 weeks last week. From what Ive been reading online, thats the period during which knowing the sex of the child will be most accurate; as in the accuracy level of a sex determining ultrasound is 100%. However, I chose to wait till this week because I wanted it to be at 101% accuracy. Today, Ill know the sex of my baby, Ill know if its a girl or a boy, Ill start referring to my unborn baby using proper pronouns; either he or she. Today I get to know who won the bet between Donald and I. I choose not to sulk about the fact that he will not be here today and focus on the fact that Az is willing to come to the hospital with me. She has been so available lately and I am so happy and grateful for that. Its good to see that her time spent with Mankaa is paying off somehow and I hope she is actually healing from all the hurt she has been through on the inside.

Pregnancy really does change your dressing code. I know for a fact that I am a hot girl, but since I got pregnant, underwear has become more of a taboo to me. Ha! Who will be wearing bra with all this heat and discomfort? All I wear now are kabas and slippers. I can manage to put on sandals sometimes but I usually end up smashing the back. Most of the times I just prefer staying naked. To think Im not even four months in yet, e go worry!

After applying lotion on my body and extra anti stretch mark cream on my boobs, my belly, arms and thighs, I throw on one of the kabas mama sent to me specially made by her seamstress- the same woman who had been sewing our uniforms since nursery school. This one is from a purple and grey material and its nice though not the best from the collection she sent to me. I wear absolutely no underwear, slide my slightly swollen feet into Donalds forest green leather slippers and tie my hair up into a bun. I havent braided my hair or even been to a salon since I lost Donald. Being a widow will equally change your dressing code but I know Donald would not have been happy seeing me look like this. Im not happy seeing me look like this either so Ill do my hair when Im done with my doctors appointment.

Az is writing in a blue book when I go downstairs and she doesnt look at me when I greet her, she just keeps writing.

"Are you OK?" I ask and put my hand on her shoulder while trying to get a look at what she is writing but she closes her book.

"I'm OK, sorry good morning. Lets go?"

"Sure" I say and she grabs my handbag. Thats new

We get in the car and arrive the hospital in less than half an hour. The doctor does the usual tests before telling me we will have to meet the ultrasound specialist who will properly give us the details of the procedure.

"I wish I did Biology so I'd know what to expect from the whole procedure Az whispers as the doctor fetches the wheelchair Ill have to sit on before getting to the ward for the procedure. Do you have any idea on how it will have to go?"

"I do, only because I've been reading a lot on this."

"Oh.." she muses and the doctor walks in with the wheelchair. I sit in it and Az rolls me towards the ward. There's a middle aged man there and he has on bluish green scrubs and square framed lenses.

"Hello" he says and stretches his hand.

"Hi" I reply and shake his hand.

"I'm doctor Prescott and Ill be seeing you through your ultrasound procedure" he says as he shakes Az's hand before adjusting his glasses. "How are you feeling? Nervous?"

"Not really more like curious" I smile

"What are your expectations? Do you want a boy or girl?" he asks as he sets up the machines.

"A girl" I smile But a baby is always a blessing

"Always" he smiles back "Please get on top the bed"?Az helps me up and I climb on the bed slowly before looking at him.