Chapter 17

KACELY
Song: Mercy – Shawn Mendes

"Kacely, I want you to give me directions to where you picked her up from" Shura demands when we step out of Az's ward.

"The guy said Old Town. I've never been there before but I think I can map it out" I tell her and she asks for a paper from the receptionist. I immediately remember I dumped my bag in the rush. My calculator, my math set, my passed questions, writing materials, everything's in there.
I think I'll stop by on my way back home but first I need to know that Az is alright.

I am given a paper and I map out the road leading to the place. While I draw, I get flashes of the events that led to what I met, I almost did not answer that call. If I didn't pick, we could have lost her, I would have lost her. If that guy didn't call me, Az might not been alive now.
Four men, four men raped her.

This is the second time she's been raped. More than the second time even because Lautner raped her over and over. All those other times when she was seemingly OK with it were instances of statutory rape because she was a minor. How will she get through this? She has not even gotten over what happened to her when she was younger, what about this? Along with every other thing that is going on in her life right now. What was she doing there in the first place? Why'd she have to leave the house? Why did I have to leave in the first place? I hate that I wasn't there to help her, that she was left at the mercy of those hoodlums.

But then again, I had to study. I'll be writing chemistry in a few hours so I had to study. There was literally nothing I could do to stop this series of tragic events that just occurred. After finally putting on my phone, I text my mom saying I'm on the way home. That's when I realize it's a few minutes till 11pm.
Jesus.

I look through the transparent glass and door of Azinwi's room and I notice her fidget. She opens her eyes and I don't hesitate to throw the paper in my hand before rushing into the room.

"Babe" I call and sit beside her, holding her hand. She looks at me cluelessly and I feel tears building up in my eyes. "How...How do you feel?"

"Zacchy?" she says and I answer as a tear rolls down. "Why are you crying? What happened? What am I... what's going on?" she asks and tries to sit up but I stop her.

"Babe I think you should sit still, you might hurt yourself. Just try to relax, I'll get the doctor." I say and hurry out.

*Where r u? I'm comx to pick u up* Mom texts and I ignore her.
I'll get home soon enough, especially now that I know Az is awake. Moments later, mom resorts to calling me and I sigh but I pick up.

"Where on earth are you Kacely?! What do you think you're doing?!"

"I'm in at the Regional Hospital"

"What are you doing there? And I know you aren't sick or anything."

"I'm not, but Azinwi is"

"Azinwi? You're there because of Azinwi?! What has gotten over you?! Where do your priorities lie?!" She asks me and I hear her start her car. "Months ago you would have never done something like this. Is it because I'm not being strict with you? Is that it?"

"No mom, it's not like that. Just that Azinwi really needs my help right now"

"Shut your mouth! Would you have been able to do all this if you were with your Aunt Myriam? You wouldn't have." She says and I sigh because it's the truth. "From today, things won't be as they used to be. You have to stop being wayward!" She yells and hangs up.

I know I'm screwed but I'll deal with that later.

"She's awake." I inform Shura when she comes closer.