Chapter 14

Song: Unsteady - X Ambassadors

KACELY
Since Az woke up at 10am, either she just stares at the ceiling blankly or she stares at the dark screen of my television without uttering a word. She won't even see anyone, Shura came by earlier to see her but she didn't want to go outside. That was when mom found out she was here. She freaked out, yelled at me, called me stupid, said Az was derailing me from my studies but at the end succumbed to my pleas.

When I got back to my room, Azinwi had locked herself in my bathroom and begged me to make her Shura away. Whenever I try to leave, she cries and begs me not to leave her too.

Her lips are so dark and dry, her skin is pale, she has dark circles under her eyes and her nappy hair is all tangled. She hasn't taken a bath since she got here and even though she's on her period. Her grandfather's dead really did hit her hard. I on the other hand am not finding it easy studying for the GCE while taking care of her.

She keeps crying and bitting her nails and she hasn't eaten anything since she broke her three days fast on Thursday.
I don't like seeing her like this, I hate it.

"Az..." I call, gaining her attention. "Babe you have to eat something."

"I don't want to." She replies

"But you have to, you have to eat something... anything."

"I'm not hungry Zacchy"

"I can order ekwang for you, whatever it is you want"

"I don't have an appetite"

"What about a fruit smoothie?" I push and she turns to back me."What can I get you? Anything you want, I'll get it. I'll do it for you."

"Kacely, all I want right now is for you to leave me the fuck alone alright. I'm fine." I know I'm pushing too hard, but I can't let her be like this. She'll pass out from hunger.

"Babe..."

"For fuck's sake I just said I'm fine! What the hell is you problem?!" She blows up, getting up from the bed. "I don't want anything! I just want some peace and quiet! Don't I deserve that at least?!" She asks and I watch her slowly break down into another round of tears as I feel a weight of guilt in my chest. I hurry towards her but she drives me away.

"Don't... Don't you touch me. Just go away... Leave me alone" she cries. That's what she's saying now but later on she'll be begging me not to leave her alone.

I shouldn't be doing this in the first place, I should be studying for my exams. When she'll feel hungry, she'll ask for food herself. I stand up and grab my Computer Science books and head out of the room. God knows I tried.

"Zacchy," She whispers from the corridor about an hour later and I look at her. "I'm so sorry I yelled at you" she says while holding on to the edges of a curtain and I roll my eyes. "I... I didn't mean to I... I just... I lost it and I panicked and I treated you poorly when you're literally the only one who still gives a shit about me... and I'm... I'm so sorry" she's says and starts crying again.

Jesus Christ.

"Please don't be mad at me... Don't get tired of me, I know I'm a burden but please don't leave me like everyone else did"

"Hey, stop" I reluctantly say and walk towards her, pulling her into my arms. "You're not a burden" I tell her "you're just going through a phase, it's alright to be hurt, but it doesn't mean you should stop taking care of yourself."

"I know" she says and holds on tighter.

"And I'm not the only one who cares about you, Shura does, Bryana does, many people too." I remind her and she nods.