𝟙

DISCLAIMER : this chapter contains mentions of kidnapping, imprisonment, mentions of experimenting on live beings, syringes and needles. If you are sensitive to those kinds of things, please, read with caution or don't read at all. Thank you!

And with that, the meeting ended. Dottore's eyes did not move from your face for a single moment. To say that you felt anxious was an understatement.

As Tsaritsa left and all The Harbingers stood up from the table to go on their merry ways, you felt someone tug you by your arm. It was Signora.

"- Can we talk for a moment, please? It will be quick." - she asked you in a whisper.

"- O-of course. What's up?" - you asked her, confused.

Signora darted her eyes towards Il Dottore and then tugged you to leave the room with her. You hesitated to go with her, but you didn't want to end one month with Signora on bad terms. And so, you left the room with the elegant woman.

As soon as Signora closed the door behind her, she turned to you, and with an exhale, she spoke :

"- If anything happens... If he will scare you or threaten you... Do not hesitate to seek out for me." - Signora said in a most serious tone.

Scare you? Threaten you? Was she talking about Dottore? Why would he do that? You were supposed to assist him, and you meant no harm to him. So far, both of the Harbingers you've assisted before were friendly and welcoming. It was hard to imagine something completely different.

After a moment of hesitation, you patted Signora's shoulder. Your action seemed to comfort Signora more than you expected.

"- Thank you. But I want to believe that everything is going to be fine. Don't worry about me so much... Besides, I'm pretty sure I can appear on his good side by taking care of him the same way I took care of you and Tartaglia." - you smiled.

Signora only chuckled at your words.

"- Easier said than done..." - whispered the woman.

After a minute of reassuring each other, Signora bid you goodbye, and you decided that it was time to get back to the meeting room. You expected Dottore to be waiting for you there, but he wasn't. Instead, you were once again met with The Eleventh of Fatui Harbingers - Tartaglia.

After a quick hug and exchange of greetings, Tartaglias mood started wavering.

"- Il Dottore asked me to lead you to his lab. He couldn't wait for you himself, as he said that he had some important matters to take care of." - Childe said in a low tone.

You didn't mind that one bit, as you both had a minute to catch up with each other while walking to Dottores laboratory.

As you approached the stairs that led to the basement, both you and Tartaglia stopped in your tracks. There was an intense silence between the two of you.

"- Here we are... I can't lead you any further than here. Dottore forbade me from entering the basement." - Said Tartaglia.

You only nodded and hardly swallowed a lump in your throat.

"- It's alright... Thank you." - You smiled.

And with that, you took the stairs down to the basement, where it gradually got darker and darker. The fact that the steps were pretty steep did not help at all.

Fortunately, you managed to get down the stairs without tripping or falling.

And so, you stood before the large metal door. You weren't able to hear anything that was happening inside. Maybe Dottore was not there?