𝟜 (𝕡𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝕠𝕟𝕖)

DISCLAIMER : this chapter contains fighting, burns, slight injuries. If you are sensitive to those kinds of things, please, read with caution or don't read at all. Thank you!

As you already know, Dottore never really receives any missions from Tsaritsa. He works on his own free will on things that he finds either interesting or important. That was quite a good thing since you didn't have to move from place to place. Only if Dottore would need something you'd have to travel somewhere.

It was one of those cases when Dottore was short of materials.

It was a day after the whole incident in the factory. You just entered the laboratory for a new day of work. Dottore seemed to be deep in his thoughts as he was writing something in a blue notebook at an insane speed. The Harbinger didn't even notice how you entered the laboratory and walked up behind him.

"- Good morning!"- you greeted.

"- AAAAAH!"- Dottore let out a high-pitched scream, as he jumped from his desk.

In an instant, he closed the notebook and turned around with a scowl on his face.

"- Don't startle me like that! You could at least knock before entering!" - the man scolded you.

"- I did. I waited for 5 minutes outside the laboratory, but then I decided to come in myself."- you answered with hesitation.

Your hesitation came from the first week spent with Dottore. You still feared him just a little bit. He was still unpredictable and could turn on you. The way he defeated the Ruin Guard in the factory just proved to you the fact that this man is not someone to be messed with.

To your explanation, Dottore only nodded, as his facial expression changed into a more calm one. He took the notebook he was writing in before and stuffed it into the drawer.

"- We are going on a trip to Dragonspine. We'll be staying in Mondstadts' Goth Grand Hotel since it has been reserved by the Fatui delegation for quite some time now." - Dottore yawned.

You were quite surprised at such news. Mondstadt was quite far away, as it would take around 2 days to get there.

"- Well, what are you waiting for? Go get ready, we're leaving in an hour." - Dottore ushered you.

And with that, you rushed to your room to pack a bag for your trip. You've never been to Mondstadt. The city of freedom was the city of Barbatos - the anemo archon.

After filling your bag with necessities, you returned to the laboratory, where Dottore was already waiting for you.

Upon turning off everything in the laboratory, both of you made your way out of the castle to the port, where the private Fatui ship had been prepared for your trip.

Those two days flew by pretty fast. The realization that you are finally near your destination only hits you after you walked through the Mondstadt city gates. The weather was perfect for a walk around the city, and Dottore had the same thing in mind.

After both of you got checked in at the Goth Grand Hotel and left your bags there, upon leaving the hotel Dottore turned to you.

"- What do you say if we spend one day for ourselves? It has been quite a while since I've visited Mondstadt." - the Harbinger spoke.

You agreed to his suggestion as both of you decided to explore the city.

It was quite fun, but something just couldn't leave your mind. Everywhere you'd go, people would stare at both of you. At first, they'd notice Dottore, as he was pretty well known here, but not in a good way. Then, they would look at you, and with sad glances they'd turn their eyes down, whispering such things as 'poor thing...'; 'another one of his subjects...'; 'may the Archons help her...'. You were quite unsettled by everyone's behavior. You were not one of his experiments, you were his assistant!

Right?

The Harbinger seemed to notice that you were somewhat unsettled. He put his hand on your shoulder, as he leaned to you and whispered :

"- Don't mind them. They don't know what they're talking about. Just enjoy the day." - the man comforted you.

And so, you did.

After quite a long day filled with lots of walking and sightseeing, The Harbinger suggested that both of you go grab a drink at the nearby tavern. He mentioned that an old acquaintance of his was the owner of it. You only nodded and followed Dottore into a tavern called "Angel's Share".

Inside, there were quite a lot of people, but most of them were pretty drunk, so they did not notice The Harbingers' presence. The whole place had quite a light mood to it, as some people were dancing to the bard's tunes, and the other ones were having all kinds of discussions. You followed Dottore to the bar.

Three people were sitting at the bar. Due to their outfits, you were able to recognize that one of them was a nun, the other seemed like a member of Knights of Favonius, and the third one... The third one was sleeping on the counter, as his green hat was covering his face.

Behind the bar stood a tall man, with fiery eyes and red hair. Upon seeing you and The Harbinger, the man's face turned pale as he put down the glass he was cleaning. His facial expression changed from slight shock to pure hatred.

"- I don't remember putting up the signs that The Fatui scums were welcome here." - the fiery man spoke coldly.

Upon hearing the man speak, the knight of Favonius and the nun turned to both of you, as now they were the shocked ones.

To the fiery man's words, Dottore only laughed.

"- But no signs were telling us that we are not allowed to come here, either." - The Harbinger smiled.

You felt how the tension started to grow as you shared the glance with the two people sitting at the bar. They seemed to be just as uncomfortable as you were.

"- In that case, I'm going to ask you to leave." - the man behind the bar spoke in an even colder tone.

"- Not before I get something to drink." - The Harbinger bickered.

Suddenly, the fiery man walked around the bar as he was now a few steps away from The Harbinger. The knight of Favonius quickly stood up as he walked in between Dottore and the red-haired man.

"- Diluc, let's not get ahead of ourselves." - the blue-haired man spoke, as he put a hand on the fiery man's shoulder.

"- Go away, Kaeya, I don't have time for your nonsense." - growled Diluc.

At least now you knew the names of the two men, but it didn't help the fact that something bad was about to happen.

All this time you were standing behind Dottore, but you really wanted to get out of here. You felt unsafe and The Harbinger seemed to enjoy making the red-haired man mad.

"- This is your last warning. Get out of here and never come back." - Diluc spat, as he stepped forward Dottore.

"- Or what? Don't forget that I'm your city's savior, as I was the one to defeat Ursa the Drake, which has taken countless useless lives... Or have you forgotten him?" - The Harbinger grinned, while merely whispering the last sentence. Unfortunately, it was loud enough for the fiery man to hear.

That was the last straw of Diluc's patience, as he dashed towards The Harbinger with a claymore dragging behind him. You dashed away from Dottore, as The Harbinger swiftly turned and avoided the attack.

Diluc seemed to be more than furious as he turned around and struck once again pretty quickly. This time, The Harbinger was caught off guard. The claymore was burning with flames, as Dottore dodged it just by pure luck. Nonetheless, the flames on claymore managed to burn The Harbinger's hand pretty badly, as he clutched it with a wince.

Now, you decided that it was enough bickering for today. You and Dottore shared a glance, as The Harbinger's face was soon plastered with a crazed smile.

Swiftly, Dottore pulled out a small chemical bomb out of his jacket with the unburned hand and threw it high, into the second floor of the tavern. Soon, there was an explosion as the whole tavern started filling up with smoke. While everyone was distracted, you and Dottore dashed out of the tavern and quickly made your way back into your hotel, locking yourselves up in The Harbinger's room.

A/N
Part two is already up!