𝟡

It was midnight.

Currently, Scaramouche was looking at the gnosis, which was tightly squeezed in his hand. The purple details reflected the moonlight and shined across the tent. A small ray of purple reflection landed on your sleeping face.

Scaramouche observed your sleeping form. Once again, you fell asleep in his tent but he had no wish to carry you back to your bed this time. Your calm and steady breathing seemed to soothe the storm that was currently happening inside of him.

What was it?

What was it about you that made the cruelest Harbinger crumble? Why was this happening to him?

If it was any other person, he wouldn't have hesitated to slash them in half, but it was you. You were the reason why he was still here.

You were the reason why he didn't run away after talking with Signora.

It was strange.

The Harbinger sighed as he stuffed the gnosis back into his desk drawer and laid back with you, this time facing you.

He hesitantly pushed the strand of your hair that seemed to be tickling you behind your ear.

That seemed to wake you up.

"- Scara?.. Why are you not sleeping?.." - you asked groggily, rubbing your eyes.

Scaramouche stayed silent. He was looking straight into your eyes as if looking for an answer.

Only then did you notice that you were sleeping in The Harbinger's bed.

"- O-oh, I'm sorry for falling asleep, I should-"

You were cut off by Scaramouche hugging your form and pulling you closer to him. He hid his face in the crook of your neck, preventing you from seeing his cheeks dusted with slight red.

After a moment of hesitation and surprise, you hugged Scaramouche back and rested one of your hands on Scaramouche's head, slowly combing his hair.

Your action, scent, and whole presence made the Harbinger visibly relax into the touch.

Shortly after, both of you fell asleep.

You were woken up by the slight shuffling on the other side of the bed. You opened up your eyes to see The Harbinger sitting up, trying to get his eyes comfortable with the lightning.

"- Good morning..." - you said, smiling.

Scaramouche only nodded at your greeting.

But there was something off about him. Last night he was unusually clingy, holding on to you as if you'd disappear at any given moment.

"- We have a lot of work to do today. I want you to train the new recruits. Just look after them for me. I have important matters to attend to." - The Harbinger said shortly.

You furrowed your eyebrows.

"- You want me to look after the new recruits? But I thought you hated that I kept hanging around them?.."

"- Things were different back then." - Scaramouche said firmly but bit back his tongue pretty quickly.

How were things different? What was bothering him?

You really wanted to ask but sensing the tension, you decided not to.

"- And what are your plans for today?" - you asked.

The Harbinger went silent for a moment.

"- I'm heading for the city. Her Highness asked me to deliver finished papers to our partners." - Scaramouche said.