Chapter 33: A Crushed Heart

CS
~ Long Way Home ~

By: 5 Seconds of Summer

Derek's P.O.V.

"NO!" I yelled as I watched Kale and Alex slip out of the window. Aaron, Violet, and I rush toward the open window and leaned out. My eyes widened and my pulse quickened at the sight. Kale lying on the ground unconscious with Alex on top of him unconscious as well.

"Oh my god..." Violet breaths horrified. Tears began streaming down her face as she sobbed loudly.

"ALEX!" Aaron cried out before rushing out of the room, me and Violet right behind him.

All I could think about was Alex. My mind could only focus on one thing and one thing only. Alex.

Alex.

Alex.

Alex.

Shit. This was all my fault. If I hadn't left her alone in the first place, she wouldn't have ended up like this.

Please, don't tell me... Please don't tell me you're dead. 

We finally reached the first floor and bolted out the door. We rounded the corner to where Alex and Kale must have fallen. The sight was, to be honest, even frightening up close. Blood. There was a pool of blood circling around their stacked bodies. It's okay Derek. It's not Alex's blood...right? 

I run toward the bodies and pull Alex away from Kale. I lay her down on my lap and tears begin to pierce my eyes. "Alex..." I whisper, stroking her cheek.

Aaron walks over slowly breathing heavily. I don't look up but I could surely tell he was trying hard not to break down. He kneels down next to me and looks at Alex with sorrowful eyes. "Oh my god..." He whispers as he looks at the blood trickling down her forehead. "Oh my god." He says louder this time. "THAT FUCKING BASTARD!" Tears start to stream down his face. "THAT FUCKING BASTARD HURT MY BABY SISTER!" I look up and catch a glimpse of Aaron. He was staring down at his dear sister with eyes filled with hurt and tears.

"Violet..." I look up at the weeping girl. Violet wipes her tears as she tries to calm down. I continue, "Violet. C-Call the ambulance. Now."

She nods quickly and whips out her phone. I look back down at Alex's bleeding face as a single tear escapes my eyes. Please Alex...please don't leave me...

~

Eventually, the ambulance arrived and took both Alex and Kale to the hospital while the three of us followed, piled in Aaron's car. Once we got there, we weren't allowed to go into Alex's room just yet so we had to be forced to wait. The police came in a few minutes after we arrived and we told them everything we knew. Alex had been kidnapped, raped, and thrown out of a five-story high window.

The police left and we were waiting once again. Second upon second, minute upon minute, hour after hour. We waited. That is, until a doctor came out looking for us. "Are you guys Alexandra Smith's friends by any chance?" She asks.

We shoot up from our seats and hurry toward the doctor. 

"I'm her brother. Those two are her friends." Aaron said motioning toward me and Violet.

The doctor nods and turns to Aaron. "Since you're family, may I speak to you privately?"

"Sur-"

"No." I cut Aaron off before he could finish his statement. "As close friends," I turn to Violet before turning back to the doctor, "We deserve to hear the news as well."

She sighs. "Fine. There's good news and there's some bad news." She starts, "The good news is that Alexandra, miraculously, survived the fatal fall. She broke a few ribs but we already operated on them when you guys were waiting a while ago. Bad news number one is that the second victim, Kale Roberts, I believe, sadly did not survive. He took the full impact by positioning himself underneath Alexandra. There was nway he could've survived at all."

Aaron and I breath out, relieved. Finally, it's about time that ass got what he deserved. 

"Don't get your hopes up just yet. There's one last thing I have to tell you all." She took a deep breath before continuing. "Alexandra has slipped into a coma, and she has a higher possibility that she might not wake up at all."

I stare at her wide eyed and so do the other two.

"W-What do you mean she won't wake up?" Victoria said. "We need her to wake up! She's been a dear friend to me. I can't lose her now!"

"Well-" The doctor starts but I butt in.

"Yeah, what do you mean she might not wake up? That's plain bullshit!" My voice raises high after every word.

"Guys." Aaron gives us a warning look and nods to the doctor. "What was it you were going to say, doctor?"

She gives a thankful look to Aaron before starting again, "I understand you guys love her dearly, but, sadly, I can not make promises. However, there is a possibility that she might be able to awaken. All we need to do is keep a close eye on her. You could even try to communicate with her if you'd like, try to see if you could get anything out of her."

The three of us turn to each other with sad looks on our faces before nodding. 

"I'm extremely sorry," The doctor says truthfully, "We will do the best we can to help Alexandra come back." With that she left us.

I couldn't hold it in any more. "G-Guys, I'll be right back. I'm gonna get some...fresh air." I rush out of the waiting room and out of the hospital. I ran as fast as I could all the way to the park a couple blocks down. I walk over to a bench and slump down. It's all my fault. I shouldn't have left her alone. Now look, she's in a fucking coma.This wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for me. Alex...I'm so sorry... That's when the tears came.

I literally can't describe what I'm feeling right now...this chapter hit me like a fucking truck. I feel horrible. But hey Kale's gone :D idk whether to feel happy or sad... Anyway, loving the support! You guys are awesome! <3 :P