Chapter 8

( Fact only for this AU )
 | Only a few of the Harbingers were native to Snezhnaya, most of them were from the other seven nations. It was definitely harder to join the Fatui being from a foreign nation, even if the nation was on good terms. |

  "We're going to this new shop that opened up by the harbor, I heard it was good from someone." Lumine was excited that she got Scaramouche out of the castle, he wasn't the type of person to do things with others for recreational activities, he would be by himself and that was enough. 

"It better not suck." Scaramouche was fuming, but he accepted that Lumine wasn't going to loosen her grip, he was just weaker. He hated people touching him, but he would allow Lumine as he knew how strong she was. 

Scaramouche didn't have many friends, in fact, his only friend was Lumine and she was his superior. He really enjoyed her company, whether he wanted to admit it or not, the better side of Scaramouche was brought out when Lumine was around.

⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿

  Lumine waved at people walking down the street, occasional smiles and waving back. 

"I think this is the place." Lumine looked up at a sign it said 'Wellspring.' "Come on Scara." Lumine yanked on his arm, he was sent flying forward and he stumbled. 

Audible mumbling could be heard from him as they went inside the shop. 

"Lumine! You've come to visit!" A young girl shouted at the register bursting with excitement. This girl happened to be Childe's younger sister, Tonia. 

Tonia left her fishing village Morepesok a few months ago to go to a bigger town, she ended up in Sortavala where she met Lumine, Lumine helped her adjust as Tonia had never lived on her own, Tonia felt she owed a great deal to Lumine. 

"You work here now?" Lumine let go of Scaramouche's hand and went up to the counter. Scaramouche was left to stare in disgust at the Tonia, he thought that it was extremely improper for commoners to address Lumine by name alone. 

"Yep! The lady who owns this place was nice enough to also let me have the room upstairs." Tonia smiled then looked over to the looming Scaramouche and gulped, she recognized him by his stature and hair, it was someone her brother worked with. 

"So what can I get you Lumine?" Tonia asked while trying to avoid looking over at Scaramouche. 

"Well you see, this is my friend here and he is only visiting for a bit so could we get one of everything?" Lumine put her hands together while looking back at Scaramouche.

"Yes, that'll be-" Tonia was cut off by Lumine setting down a bag of mora, it contained quite a bit of mora. "I like to support local businesses," Lumine smiled as Tonia starting grabbing items.

⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿

Lumine and Scaramouche were sitting at a table, with a large assortment of baked goods, Tonia silently watched from the counter while taking orders. 

"So did you give it some thought?" Lumine looked at Scaramouche while he was picking at a slice of pie. 

"Thought to what?" He continued picking at the pie, trying to identify what flavor it was. 

"The party, what else?" Lumine looked at the pie, she took her fork and cut a piece of it. "Just eat it." She stuck the fork in his face with the pie laying on top of it. 

Scaramouche pushed her hand away and ate with his own fork. "I'll come, but don't get any ideas." 

"Hey Scara, I'm going to head to Mondstadt with you. When it's time for you to go back to work." Lumine smiled at Scaramouche "Why?" He seemed confused, he didn't see a reason for Lumine to go to Mondstadt. 

"It's that time of year, the Windblume Festival." Lumine was elated that she had ordered wine before the festival and not after. 

"That's for couples, Lumine" The Windblume Festival may have celebrated freedom but it was really an event to give gifts to friends, family, or lovers. They didn't even know what a Windblume truly was, at least that was how Scaramouche saw it. 

"Why do you have to be so blunt?" Lumine got up, reminded of her loveless life, she had dated a few people but she really just wasn't interested in getting so close to someone just for them to die later. 

Scaramouche was a bit hurt by this, he didn't even know why. He watched as Lumine walked out and he followed her. Not bothering to try and talk to her or catch up. 

⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿⇿

Really, talking to Lumine about relationships was a tough subject. She couldn't form proper relationships with anyone as she knew she would eventually watch them grow old and die. There are ways to bypass this though, you can defy the flow of time. Lumine once tried with a good friend of hers after the Archon War, her friend's body deteriorated and blow away ashes upon entering Celestia. 

Lumine was forced to watch as her friend simply blew away into thin air, her friend only smiled. Lumine had to assume she wasn't in any pain when her physical form failed her. 

Perhaps her consciousness remained, similar to what happens to a god when they are 'killed.' 

After that incident, Lumine just stopped getting too attached. She saw how that worked for Barbatos, but his power was very limited because of it. Maybe that was for the best.