Falter (Chapter 37)

Episode 19-21 spoiler warning!! No TWs. I had half of this written before I went on a really long break so if you notice a difference in quality that would be why!

She chews on the inside of her cheek trying to subside the nerves very eagerly wanting to take over. She has an awful feeling something is going to go horribly wrong.

(Y/N) peers at Kazutora through the crowd. His eyes graze over Toman, catching on her's for only a second. She feels a bit lightheaded, though she knows it's too late to stop this. They will fight, and no matter what, they will win. And she will save Baji.

There is one thing and one thing only that she's focusing on. Protecting them. Her eyes leave Kazutora for only a second so that she can look at Draken, who she has such a deep love for. She comes back to her senses in only a moment. Her eyes stay trained on Kazutora and she refuses to let them wander anymore. It's hard to keep her thoughts from circling around Draken and the others.

Suddenly there's a loud thump as Kazutora cracks his fist into the side of the man's face. (Y/N) had forgotten what he was saying, even what he was there for, but she knew this was something very unexpected. There's many gasps from the crowd of people.

"Give me a break!" Kazutora shouts. He swiftly turns around and holds his hands out towards Valhalla. "We came here to beat all of you until you're dead!"

"Let's go, Toman!" Calls the now so familiar voice of her best friend, Mikey. Many people cry out as the two gangs charge towards each other.

(Y/N) steps back to find Kazutora and Baji. They are the only people that concern her. She finds herself to be a little shaken. The men of Valhalla are a lot older and bigger. Not to mention the size of Valhalla.

Her ears ring slightly, almost completely blocking out the sounds of people fighting. Nausea seeps into her, though she doesn't let that stop her. She persists through the people, deciding it's just about impossible to pick him out of the huge crowed. A man wearing the Valhalla jacket tried to grab her, though she slips right past him. Occasionally someone will reach for her, but she is mostly able to effortlessly avoid. She can spot Draken and Hanma in the distance. She knows Draken can handle himself. That's the only thing that keeps her from running to his aid.

(Y/N) persists through the jumble of people in search of Kazutora. She wouldn't mind finding Takemichi right now. He had also been there when Baji was stabbed.

With every minute that ticks by, a little bit of the hope she had felt deflates. She takes a few slow breaths in and out, hiding behind a car. The only option left is reconstruct the plan.

She rubs her hands together and squeezes her eyes shut, desperately searching for an idea. What should she be doing right now? If she can't help Baji yet then maybe she should be helping the others. She could go find Draken again and assist him in whatever way possible. Maybe she should just take out as many guys as possible in as little time necessary. Mikey. There's a pretty good chance lots of people would want to go for him. He's the leader after all.

A sudden distorted scream pulls her from her thoughts.

"Mikey..."

(Y/N) jumps up at the sound of her best friends name being cried by her lover. She sees him only seconds before she sees Kazutora. Her teeth grind together at the sight of Kazutora repeatedly beating Mikey over the head. Even from as far away as she is, she can see the blood painting the cars they stand on. She takes off through the crowd at a brisk jog, not caring who she steps on or bumps into. Her eyes stay locked on Mikey's frame. Kazutora hits him again and again while two of the Valhalla guys hold him in place.

She continues on, her breath becoming heavy. Her best friend is going to die. What'll that do to Draken? She prays she never has to find out what Mikey's death does to herself, her friends, or to Toman.

She come to a halt abruptly, unable to more or act, inert. Mikey slams the back of his head into the face of one of the men who holds his head. He lifts the man that grabs his leg up and cracks Kazutora in the side of the head. Kazutora's body drops to the ground, limp, along with Mikey. They both stay absolutely still. Unconscious.

Shit.

Everyone's been watching them. It's going to turn to more chaos soon as everyone tries to be the first to reach Mikey. How can she possibly protect him now? The adrenaline pushes her towards her friend.

"Mikey!" A scream leaves her throat, though it doesn't feel like hers. Her feet move without being told to.

Her feet dig into the ground as she races towards her friend. She can't let him die, but what about Baji? No, one person at a time. Mikey can't possibly live without her help.

She hurried around the pile of cars and up the back, thinking it would probably be the fastest way to get ahead of the Valhalla members. She jumps up just in time to see Kisaki show up. He knocks one of the Valhalla guys off of the car and proclaims that his division will be taking charge in protecting Mikey. She doesn't trust him one bit, but she knows it's probably for the best.

(Y/N) sits behind the car, trying to wrap her head around this. Suddenly she sees him in the distance, Baji.

He gives her a curious look, opens his mouth as if to speak, thinks better of it and closes it, and continues up the pile of cars. When he passes her, he taps her shoulder. She doesn't know what he's trying to show her by doing this, but she takes it as a good sign. It was impossible for her to believe he was working with Valhalla. She never really had. She peaks out around the car in time to catch a glimpse of Baji slamming a metal pipe down on Kisaki. There was an all too satisfying crack that followed.

She knew it would make Toman hate Baji even more, but she was so happy to see Kisaki get what was coming to him that it clouded her vision. Baji is the one she's protecting, not Mikey, not Draken.

She hears shouts of praise from Valhalla's side and curses from Toman's.

Kisaki's right-hand man grabbed Baji by the cuff of his shirt and threw him down the side of the mount of cars. It made (Y/N)'s teeth grind together. It was almost euphoric to see Baji. She hurried out from behind the car and down to where Baji was. She stood in the shadows of a different car and listened to Baji shout at Kisaki. She could see the look of rage on his face, and then suddenly Chifuyu was standing in front of him, and his enraged face faltered. His face seemed to soften when he looked at Chifuyu. Seeing him gave her hope. (Y/N) knows how the pair feel about each other, and she knows Chifuyu can help her save Baji.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Word count: 1,462

I'm back! I'm not going to lie, I genuinely forgot about Wattpad. Sorry guys!!

Anyways, the last three months have given me the time to improve on everything, including how I'm going to write these last few chapters. Originally I had planned to finish it after Baji and (Y/N) either live or die, but I think I'm going to continue the story when season two comes out. Between now and then, I'll finish the first part of the story and continue writing the Draken angst and Mikey fanfics. I may write a few filler chapters between now and when the second season comes out since that might be awhile, but I'm so excited to say that the first part is almost complete.

I hope to have my audience in tears by the end of this part, whether that be tears of sadness or joy, I guess you'll have to see :))

Also don't forget that I could kill off more than just Baji, for instance, what if Draken or Mikey die instead of Baji? What if (Y/N) dies?  So many possibilities.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter, the next will be out soon!

Don't forget to upvote/ follow/ comment!!