Last Breath (Chapter 38)

Season one spoiler warning no TWs!!

"Chifuyu, what do you think you're doing?" Inquires Baji. He glances over at (Y/N) and then back at Chifuyu.

"Baji-San... don't do this! If you take Kisaki down you'll be betraying Mikey," Chifuyu pleads. His eyes twinkle with determination and he hold his arms out firmly, "you can't take him down right now—"

Baji's fist crashes into the side of Chifuyu's head, he falls to the ground, dazed.

"What the hell do you think you're doing Chifuyu? The only reason I kept you around was because you can fight," Baji explains.

"That isn't true," (Y/N) speaks up, "you keep Chifuyu around because you care for him. You care for all of Toman. That's why you want to hurt Kisaki, isn't it, Baji-San."

Baji hesitates, glancing at her and then Chifuyu who sits on the ground, "Say what you want, but—"

"Oh, shut up," (Y/N) says. She knows that isn't something that she should say to Baji, "you can say whatever makes you feel better about what you're doing, but just know that Toman will suffer if you do this. Not only that, but they'll never forgive you. And then Kisaki will win."

Baji stood silently, seeming to contemplate her words.

"I'm the 1st Division Vice Captain and I'm going to protect you, Baji-San!" Chifuyu says. "And you'll help me, won't you, (Y/N)-Chan."

"Of course," (Y/N) breathes. Her eyes stay on Baji as he looks at them, annoyed. She doesn't care how much she annoys him right now. She doesn't even care if he hits her right now. All she cares about is protecting her friends.

"If you're going to continue down this path then I won't hold back either!" Chifuyu says, pulling himself to his feet.

"Just try it."

Chifuyu doesn't move, he just looks at Baji.

"I'll give you ten seconds."

"Huh?"

"Ten..."

Think! Think! Think!

If she can think of something....

"Nine..."

Chifuyu looks at (Y/N) helplessly, and she looks back with the same expression.

"Eight..."

Chifuyu looks back at Baji, wide-eyed and breathing heavily.

"Seven..."

(Y/N) watches Chifuyu, waiting for something to happen. She glances at the people fighting, her thoughts on Draken. She wonders if he's okay.

"Six... what's the matter? I thought you weren't going to hold back? Five..."

He could be dead for all she knows. So could Mikey. Takemichi, Mitsuya, the Twins, Hakkai, they could all be dead.

"Four... you won't be able to stop me unless you kill me... three."

(Y/N) shakes off the thought, looking back at Baji and Chifuyu. Looking into Baji's eyes, she can't recall the last time he looked so... easy? He didn't look like he wanted to hurt anyone. He looked like all he was thinking of was Chifuyu and the last few seconds he has. They stare at each other, not even acknowledging (Y/N).

"Two..."

Chifuyu's breath slowed slightly.

"One..."

Baji's eyes became softer still. He looked almost disappointed that Chifuyu hadn't tried to stop him, that Chifuyu couldn't stop him. He didn't want to do this, not really. Baji didn't want to betray Toman. He looked so... calm.