CHAPTER 38

When we entered the classroom, I noticed that the professors hadn't arrived yet.

I sat next to Dean at the last benches and we started talking about our summer. I was very lucky to have him by my side. At least I wasn't alone.

After few minutes, they arrived. Ginny explained to me that morning that they were brother and sister and they were going to be very evil to us, especially to Gryffindors.

"We are Alecto and Amycus Carrow. We will be your defence against the dark arts teachers." started the woman

"We don't want troubles in our classes. You will do everything we will say, without hesitating or decline, or you all won't like the consequences of your actions" finished Amicus.

I look at my desk. After their speech, I realized that Lupin was right. We didn't have to be noticed by them, or it would have only meant trouble. And troubles were the last thing I wanted that year. As I was thinking that, I realized that they stopped talking, it seemed strange.

I looked up and I saw Alecto, the woman, standing in front of my desk, looking at me and smirking.

My heart started racing, but I managed not to show my feelings.

"are you listening, or you are too bored to do it?" she asked

"yes, I'm sorry, I was listening" I answered. I tried to be as confident as I could be.

She didn't reply immediately, instead she was looking at me, with a weird facial expression, halfway between thoughtful and amused.

I tried to keep maintaining eye contact, but it was getting more and more difficult.

"Amycus, doesn't it look like a familiar face?" she asked

I couldn't understand at first her question, but after few seconds I realized.

They were at Hogwarts with the other death eater the night Dumbledore was killed, with Draco and Bellatrix.

I sighed, hoping she wasn't going to realize that.

Amycus didn't answer, but he was looking at me with an interesting face.

"Oh yes, you are Draco's girlfriend, or ex-girlfriend now that he is with us, aren't you?" she said "You were there that night, crying that he was leaving you, how pathetic" she continued.

I look up at her, I took the courage I had in my body and I started speaking

"I'm Hannah Nolan, and, um, I think that is none of your business, isn't it, professor?" I said with a little accent of pride in my voice.

She obviously didn't see that coming. She was surprised I said all of these things, but I didn't care. No one could talk to me about Draco in that way. I didn't know if we were still a couple, but it was only our business.

"well, you are very brave to speak to me like that, Nolan, or very fool" she said, still looking at me

I could feel everyone looking at me, at us. I sighed, took my book and waited until they started the lesson.

She came closer, and whispered in my left ear

"You are going to have a very tough year. Do you realize that?" I kept staying in the same position, but I could feel the chills run all over my body.

She returned to her desk and started explaining, but I wasn't paying attention.

Dean took my hand under the desk, to let me know that he was there to help me. I smiled quickly at him. I looked up. Blaise was looking at me with an expression that showed sadness and empathy. He knew how I was feeling. He lost his best-friend. He probably didn't know where he was, if he was okay, or what he was doing in that moment.