02 | a bold albeit stupid move

| Amelia |

"Refresh my memory if you will, whose idea was it to sleep at 2 in the morning on a school night?"

Zoey groaned in annoyance as I drove the car at hyper-speed, desperate to get us to school on time.

After our little adventure last night, the three of us had returned to my house to continue spending our time watching movies and ended up sleeping very late. Needless to say, none of us had the energy to wake up on time.

"I don't care, and I don't mind." Leila's unusually chirpy voice from the back made me turn my head briefly to glare at her.

Her legs were sprawled on the entirety of the back seat while she rested her head on the window of the vehicle, a wide smile adorning her face. It was quintessential of her to love the fact that we were probably going to miss our first few classes of school - that too, on the very first day.

"Hey, look at where you're going, bitch!" A sudden loud and angry voice from outside the car made all of us turn our attention to a burly man outside on the road who was apparently yelling at me.

My face flinched as I realised I had almost sidestepped him with the car in my desperate race to get us to school on time.

Shit.

"Why don't you mind your fucking language?" Leila forwarded her head out of the window as she yelled back at the guy, looking like she was ready to eat him alive as we hurriedly speeded away.

"It's kind of my fault, you know?" I chuckled as I looked at her through the rearview mirror, but she only huffed and put her head back inside the car, mumbling profanities under her breath in Hindi.

Leila's Indian side was always bound to come out whenever she got angry.

"Yeah, but he called you a bitch. I'm not allowing that." She grumbled as she crossed her arms and sat up straight in her seat, unaware of the smile that formed on my lips at her words.

Leila and I parted our ways with Zoey as she rushed off to her Chemistry class, while we got ready for English. The three of us had surprisingly managed to reach on time, and I liked to think it was due to my expert driving...well, if you ignore the occasional sidestep.

We entered and took our seats in the middle of the class, where we usually sat. My mood suddenly lifted by a notch as the familiar faces came into view; everyone seemed to be engaged in exciting conversations with their friends, telling them about their summer.

"I'm just going to go to the washroom before Ms. Whoever comes in." Leila suddenly said, making me look at her in confusion while she eyed everyone with a bored expression.

I narrowed my eyes at her, knowing that she was likely going to go outside and miss this whole class, even possibly the whole day. Leila was prone to doing that a lot, but most of the times, it was when there was something grave on her mind and she needed to think some things over.

But before I could ask her if everything was okay, she interrupted, "It's fine, I'll tell you about it later."

Knowing Leila, I knew it would be of no use to question her further, so I simply nodded my head as she exited through the door.

A few minutes passed and I was talking to some of my friends from class, when suddenly the classroom door opened and everyone became silent. Expecting to see the teacher, I retreated to my seat and looked in the direction of the blackboard, only to widen my eyes a few seconds later.

Standing at the door was none other than Noah Carter.

His form seemed to represent the state he was in yesterday; his hair were dishevelled as the strands rebelled in different directions, while his muscles were tensed, ready to jump at whoever managed to tick him off.