23 | tangled strings

[ This chapter is dedicated to @the9thresident for all the wonderful support, right from the beginning. I truly appreciate each vote and comment, and to be quite honest, this dedication was long overdue. Y'all should really go and check out her book<3 ]

| Amelia |

Even with my hands let free by him, I didn't dare and put them to use to get me out of my current position.

No, instead I simply let them fall quietly to my sides, a soft gasp escaping my lips when I felt his chest inch closer to my spine. 

Noah had issued - openly and unbridledly - the challenge for me to scream and seize the chance to run out of the abandoned place, but he knew...I knew, I wouldn't ever dare do that.

When I didn't even squeak as a response to his words, he chuckled against the helix of my ear, his head still lowered down to its level.

"What? Lost your voice suddenly, did you?"

A shiver ran down my back as I felt him remove his hand from my mouth and extend it lower, not another word leaving his form till he reached the sensitive skin of my neck.

I whimpered when he encircled his hand around it, wrapping his palm against its surface while he still stood behind me. His movements were calculated, tantalisingly slow, and yet they managed to create the completely opposite effect in the way they caused the pulse in my neck to quicken.

"Noah...let me ex-"

"What the fuck are you doing here, Amelia?"

A pronounced anger now shone in his tone, making my insides burn; the slight growl in his voice as he said my name did nothing to appease my feeble state.

"I didn't mean to follow you, I-"

"Bullshit."

In one smooth motion, he had me caged against the dilapidated wall of the room, my back now resting firmly on the crumbling surface.

His grip on my throat slipped away as he now chose to place his hands on the area beside each side of my head, successfully trapping me right where he wanted.

I swallowed when I, through no choice of my own, found myself a prisoner of his verdant gaze - it was unwavering and ominous, as if he wanted to vanish me out of existence just by staring at me. 

Under that tantalising burden, even I couldn't help but admit that he'd called my bluff. I had, after all, willingly followed him. I hadn't needed to, I could've just gone about my night as usual, and yet I had chosen to come here. To this unknown, empty place in a street completely unfamiliar to me. 

Why? Was I really that eager to know what Noah seemed to hide within himself? Is that how deep the extent of my curiosity about him ran? 

Or was it, a little voice nagged, that I was actually concerned, worried he'll end up getting hurt?

I had, for reasons I couldn't yet explain, made the conscious choice to follow him. And now, here I was: trapped against a wall with no escape in sight except to stare into Noah's deep pools of lushness, his face inches away from my own.

"Explain yourself before I really fucking get angry."

It took the tight gritting of his teeth to make me snap out of my fixation and get some semblance of a grip on myself. "I...saw you walking on the street..." I mumbled unsurely, "you were stumbling a lot, it kind of seemed like you were...like you were-"