05 | all the rumours are true

| Amelia |

"It's none of his fucking business. Now get that through your head, Paul, before I have to make you."

His voice was clear as crystal as my feet remained grounded at the edge of the narrow alley.

I froze in my spot, turning around slowly and peeking my head from behind the wall in the direction from which the voice had come.

Noah Carter was leaning against the wall with a cigarette in his fingers, taking occasional puffs and blowing out the smoke, seemingly trying to calm down.

I observed nervously from the distance as his jaw clenched and he spoke to another guy who was standing in front of him. "I will never do what he wants me to." He growled, his face contorting into a malicious scowl.

Hundreds of questions raced through my mind as I listened to their conversation, the tense atmosphere around them alone being enough to send an ominous chill down my spine.

Whatever this was, it wasn't good.

But one thing was clear, I wasn't going to stand there and continue to eavesdrop. I was never one for gossip, neither did I have any desire to listen to a clearly private conversation between two people, even if one of them was someone who had threatened me just this morning.

The only thought that was important was to get out of there as soon as possible.

Consequently, my feet prepared themselves to turn to the opposite direction as I began moving discreetly, trying my best not to make a sound, but the next words were enough to compel me to freeze.

His companion's face had transformed into a terrified one as he pleaded in a desperate tone, "Sir, you know what he's capable of, and you know what he wants you to do for the gang."

Gang?

He stammered in hesitation before saying, "He's threatening you with... with what you did that night...when you-"

"Shut the fuck up right now!"

Noah's furious yell was enough to make me almost squeak and jump in my spot, completely startled by the ferocity in his tone. I was more terrified than confused.

But what shook me more were the words I had just heard the guy say.

"You know what he wants you to do for the gang."

My heartbeat quickened as I took slow steps backward, my previous option to leave now suddenly becoming the only feasible one.

At that moment, I truly didn't know what to believe as I realised that all the rumours that circulated in our school were true. Noah Carter was, in fact, actually in a gang.

Something greater than fear rose inside me as I tried to understand what I had just witnessed, which was something I clearly wasn't supposed to. The background noises seemed to blur and I realised that I needed to get out of there.

Taking slow steps backward, my knees trembled slightly as I tried not to make a sound, my lips pursed tightly in fear.

Noah Carter had already scared the living hell out of me in school today; what would he do if he got to know about this?

But fate had other plans.

Because just the next moment, my body collided with what seemed to be a large trash can behind me, a loud metallic sound subsequently resonating through the air.

Shit.

Despite knowing next to nothing about his gang or what he did, there was one thing I didn't need to know.