20 | unlikely, illicit alliance

| Amelia |

"The fight was absolutely gruesome," Zoey recalled while her nose scrunched at the violent memory, "Like something straight out of a movie."

"Exactly," I nodded in agreement as the three of us walked through the hallway; lines of students bustled around as the bell rang loudly in the background, signalling the beginning of lunch break.

Leila snorted, not changing her expression much. "I'm not surprised. Not a day here passes without Noah Carter causing the headmistress to pull her hair out."

Despite our chuckles, Zoey's solemn expression remained. "No, it was just...I don't think he started this one..." she fumbled with her words, unsure of what to say, "It seemed like...it seemed like it was Chase's fight."

A momentary silence engulfed our trio, all three of us aware that this was the first time after what had happened that Zoey had managed to actually say his name out loud.

Leila and I shared a brief look before I decided to break the cloud of tension.

"Yeah, you're right," I introspected, playing out the brutal scene in my head. "I remember him threatening the guy he was bashing...Chase was almost shaking in anger."

Noah, on the other hand, was thoroughly enjoying all that was going on; beating burly football players was apparently child's play for him.

The thought of him caused a slight chill to go down my spine, my mind unassailably going back to what had transpired last night.

Noah Carter had not only been in my bedroom, but had also wrapped his hand around my throat - all while pressing my back into the wall. He had placed his lips right by my ear, threatening me with such intensity, I could almost still hear his words echoing in my head.

And to top it all off, he had ended the night by stuffing my own panties down my pocket, without me even realising it.

I shuddered.

It was then that I knew that Noah Carter had no fears; my mom could've walked right into the room and I doubt he would've cared.

"I wonder why that was." Leila's voice broke me out of my thoughts, my gaze refocusing to find us now settling in our seats in the lunch hall.

Curiously, her voice had held a very clear hint of anger in it, and when I turned to her, I found her looking directly in the direction of someone approaching us.

Chase Foxx had captured the entire student body's attention as he walked toward our otherwise secluded corner of the cafeteria. Chatters erupted everywhere he walked, yet their quietness allowed an almost complete silence to engulf the space.

"I need to talk to you." 

He spoke as soon as he reached our table, his gaze unrelenting and fixed solely on Zoey.

This was not going to go well.

Her fists clenched over the surface as she refused to raise her head, choosing to use her hair as a curtain against the growing attention.

"I have nothing to say to you."

At her quiet response, a frustrated groan resounded from his throat. "Why won't you listen to me? I tried calling, texting...I need to explain myself-"

"There's nothing to explain," the tightening in her fists increased, along with the grip on her fork; she still refused to meet his eyes.

"Yes, there is." He snapped back in determination, trying to reach a bit closer to where she was seated. "Please, listen to me, Zo, I-"