34 | gushing red

[ This chapter is dedicated to @slkgallagher for all the wonderful comments and support! I appreciate it so much. Thank you for reading!<33 ]

| Amelia |

"WHY IS EVERYONE SCREAMING?"

I laughed at Leila's frustration as I cheered along with the crowd, adding to the blaring noise that had caused her to place her palms over her ears.

"We need just one goal to win, Leila!" I nudged her shoulder, encouraging her to join in.

She looked like she would do anything but, throwing me a stinky eye. "Yes, but why scream?"

"It's exciting!" I clapped my hands, watching in anticipation just like the gathering of students around us - everyone had their eyes fixed only on the field.

The Redhawks had to score just one goal.

I knew next to nothing about football, I admit, but there was something just so enthralling roaming in the air that I couldn't help but join in.

The ball was currently in Chase's possession, and I watched as he moved towards the Eagles' goal area, trying to make his way through the tough defence offered by the players of the other team.

Beside me, I saw Zoey observing his movements with the same anticipation as I was, but with something additional swirling in her eyes as well. I could see her lips part as Chase reached the net, literally seconds away from gaining a victory for the school.

The crowd seemed to be at the edge of its seat, an eerie, anticipating silence now infecting the air.

Everything happened in a flash.

All of us watched as Chase swung his foot backward and kicked the ball with powerful force, making it shoot right in the net's direction.

An audible, collective gasp reverberated throughout as we watched the goalkeeper swerve to catch it, the ball barely touching his fingers before plunging right into the net.

He collapsed onto the ground, and at the same moment the entire stadium stood up and screamed in joy.

"He did it!"

Zoey was beaming, almost jumping up and down in excitement. Even Leila seemed happy (she failed at hiding it) when I turned my head in her direction.

Smiling, the three of us joined the group of students that was making its way onto the field in the direction of the players, who were all now huddling around Chase, lifting him in the air and chanting their victory.

Subconsciously, involuntarily, my eyes searched through everyone gathered there...

Where was he?

-

"You look constipated."

I chuckled at Leila's remark, nodding in agreement when I saw Zoey's face. She did, in fact, look somewhat...troubled, as she gazed into the distance at Chase.

It seemed the whole school was currently surrounding him, congratulating him on the win and patting his back. I could swear I heard a teacher scream "I love you Foxx!" two seconds ago.

"You know you can just approach him," I turned to Zoey, "Just say congrats?"

She shook her head, tearing her eyes away from the scene. "No...it'd probably be weird."

Seeing the look of dejection on her face, clearly showing just how badly she wanted to go up to Chase as well, I nudged her shoulder. "You know," I began, a small smile playing on my lips, "He was expecting you to show up and give him those papers today."