16 | twisted loyalty

| Amelia |

This is an extremely bad idea.

My feet tapped nervously on the ground of the (completely empty) parking lot of the school as I fiddled with my fingers, still not sure why I had decided to come.

But considering how deadly serious Calvin had seemed on the call yesterday night, I didn't have much of an option. Neither did he leave me a chance to speak further yesterday, cutting the call as abruptly as it had started.

Nevertheless, I couldn't help but feel unsure about the whole ordeal, especially when our last encounter in the nurse's room had ended up rather harshly.

Exhaling deeply, I retrieved my phone from my pocket to look at the time, frowning at how he was already late.

A few more minutes passed before I finally spotted his approaching figure from afar, making me straighten up and put my phone back in my pocket.

He was dressed in a blue t-shirt with light wash denims, but contrary to his outfit, his demeanour was anything but casual. As soon as he was right in front of me, his eyes glanced around cautiously within our surroundings, making sure there was no one to hear what he was going to say. 

Before I could question his eerie antics, his gaze focused on my form and he pulled me by my arm, slowly guiding me to the back of the car I was previously leaning against.

"You didn't tell anyone that we were going to meet, did you?"

Shaking my head but still confused, I answered, "No."

"Good," he breathed a sigh of relief before his body relaxed slightly and a stoic expression made itself present on his face. "We need to talk."

Finally detaching my arm from his hold, I backed away. "Yeah you keep saying that..." I hesitated, not sure how to act with him right now, "What happened, Calvin?"

He glanced around once again before fixing his serious gaze on me.

"I have a proposal for you."

A proposal?

The furrowing in my brows increased. "What do you mean?"

"I've noticed ever since I came back that you've gotten pretty close to Noah Carter," he stopped in between and looked at me questioningly, as if he wanted me to reaffirm what he was saying. "Correct?"

I opened my mouth to answer him but closed it back almost instantly, realising I didn't have any answer to his question...not an adequate one, at least. 

Noah and I had certainly...seen more of each other ever since school began, but it wasn't pleasant in the least. In fact, virtually all of our encounters had ended up lethally.

"That's...one way of saying it." I consequently spoke out after a few seconds of thought, not wanting to elaborate further.

His brows furrowed in confusion but he chose to leave the topic aside and nodded, seemingly trying to approach the upcoming conversation carefully. 

A few moments passed in silence before he spoke.

"Have you heard the rumours?" He suddenly asked, his face tilted to the side as if trying to assess my reaction, get some inside look into what I was thinking. 

I blinked twice. "The rumours...?"

"About him. About Noah Carter."

Of course, I'd heard the rumours about Noah.