10 | burning bridges

| Amelia |

"If he actually likes you, what you wear shouldn't matter."

A huff escaped Leila's mouth as she continued muttering words in an annoyed manner under her breath; her arms were crossed in front of her while her lips were pursed, her face clearly radiating impatience.

Zoey's groan came immediately afterwards in response, followed by her chucking the black dress she had picked out onto the bed frustratedly. She looked at the both of us behind her through the mirror.

"I know it shouldn't," she grumbled in a low voice, "But you know I've never actually been...asked out like this before, let alone by Chase Foxx for some random party. I'm still not even sure why he asked me."

A frown graced my lips as I took in her words. "Well that's a complete and total lie," I voiced my thoughts, finally standing up from the soft blanket and walking toward her, "I know for a fact that you've been asked out countless times these past years."

Zoey opened her mouth to protest but Leila cut her off, agreeing with me. "Exactly, and you always rejected their advances because you wanted to focus on academics. Which was perfectly okay, but now that you want to actually go on this date, we're going to make sure you look stunning - more than usual, anyway."

A blush came on Zoey's face as she nodded at the both of us and focused her attention back to the cupboard.

Looking inside, a vibrant navy dress immediately caught her eye, her hands reaching to pull it out. "This looks perf-"

"Nuh uh."

Leila's sound of disapproval followed from the direction of the bed, making the redhead look at her in annoyance. "I'm not letting you go on a date with him in that."

"But you said it doesn't matt-"

"Yeah, it doesn't, but that dress - never." She rolled her eyes as she finally removed the heavy blanket from her legs, her eyes already seemingly fixed on something particular in the large mass of clothes.

Reaching over to us, she smirked as she picked out a burgundy, cold-shoulder dress. And even though she had only just picked it out, I couldn't help but know that it was the one.

"That's...That's definitely not mine." Zoey stuttered in her awe as she stared at it with the same look on her face as mine, her brows furrowed at Leila in confusion.

"Yeah, it's mine. I must have forgotten it here or something." Leila introspected momentarily before waving her hand dismissively and forwarding the dress towards her, "But go on, try it."

Zoey nodded hesitantly as she went into the bathroom, her fingers fiddling with the fabric in an unsure manner.

Meanwhile, Leila and I sat ourselves down back on the bed. I heaved a sigh as I waited patiently, getting lost in my thoughts for a second, but a small grunt from Leila's throat made me turn my attention to her.

"What's the matter?"

"The guy's not changed." 

That was all she said before forwarding her phone in my direction, her gaze still fixed onto the screen. 

I twisted my face in confusion at her before looking down at what she wanted to show me. 

Beneath me, the screen glared with a bright picture from someone's social media. It took me about a nanosecond to realise who it was. 

Calvin Johnson stood inside what looked like a nightclub, neon lights surrounding him, his arm wrapped around the waist of none other than Avery Walter - the girl he cheated on me with