25 | sine anima

| Amelia |

I felt the ends of the strands of my hair softly tickling the side of my cheek, the sensation of a cool breeze lightly caressing my face.

My eyes flittered under the sudden feeling and I sighed, still keeping them closed and adjusting my position to get comfortable once again.

It was then that I felt the warm weight on my body and realised that the hair grazing my skin weren't actually mine.

Slowly, cautiously, I willed myself to open my tired eyes and blinked a few times, trying to get out of my sleepy state. The darkness of the room allowed me to do that with ease.

I immediately knew I was still in the house I had followed Noah into.

Had I fallen asleep here?

Sniffling quietly, I licked my dried lips and feebly turned my head to the side, only to stop myself from letting out a loud gasp.

I watched in complete - complete - stillness, making sure not to move even a single muscle in my body, as Noah's asleep form sat beside me, his back against the wall while my head rested comfortably on his shoulder.

"God," I whispered under my breath, looking up at him, not daring to retreat from my position and have him wake up and find out that I had stayed the night.

He wouldn't like that at all.

Still keeping my eyes fixed on him, I moved my free hand and felt around the cold floor for my phone, grabbing it a few seconds later and slowly raising it to my eye level.

4.26AM.

My eyes widened at the time. How had I ended up sleeping here?

Confused, I looked up at him once again, cautiously resting my phone on the floor beside me, keeping my head unwillingly nestled in his warmth.

I blinked once, taking in his peaceful image and just how calm he seemed to be; his light, laboured breaths fanned my face softly each time, the fall and rise of his chest evident as I rested myself against him.

It was then that I suddenly realised just how close our lips were. They would touch without a doubt if I was to move upward by a mere centimetre.

Too close.

I immediately decided to back away, that previous unease beginning to claw at me once again.

Lowering my head, I slowly detached myself from him and lessened our contact, trying as best as I could to not make a sound or move too much all at once.

More and more cold air brushed my skin as I backed away, sort of unwelcoming but I did it nonetheless. Once at a safe distance away from him, I rested my head on the wall behind me, immediately wanting to sleep again but deciding against it.

Eyes still a bit foggy from sleep, I wondered how lucky it was that mom was still out for her work trip. I could already imagine the number of calls my phone would have been blowing up with. 

Speaking of calls, why haven't you received one from Rachel?

My eyes widened as I picked up my phone from the ground once again, remembering how I had called her before leaving the house as a safety measure, telling her to check in on me after a while. How was it that she hadn't called?