09 | new (old) appearances

| Amelia |

"Did you, by any chance, take account of my suggestion these past few weeks?"

Leila's voice was laced with hopefulness as she stared at Margaret with feigned innocence. To anyone who happened to look, she would've seemed like a puppy pouting for a bite of food - but to the woman who stood in front of us with a notepad and pen in her hand, this was just part of her normal routine.

"No, Leila, I did not take into account the note in our suggestion box which told us to officially add vodka to the menu." Margaret rolled her eyes, her lips trying to suppress the faint clue of a smile.

Leila simply groaned in response, watching as Margaret retreated to the kitchen to get our orders. There was no doubt that Leila was going to get her regular of black coffee for yet another day.

Contrary to what I had expected, her expression changed fast as lightening as soon as Margaret was out of sight, a sly smile etching on her face.

She lifted her hand to discreetly lift something from inside her bag. "That's fine, I came prepared today." She whispered, eyes glistening with mischief like a child while she waved a metal flask in the air between us.

While I doubled over in laughter, Zoey face-palmed herself as she stared at her with a mixture of amusement and disbelief. "God, you are incorrigible."

Leila raised her brows in appreciation as she tipped a make-believe hat on her head, bowing her head and chuckling animatedly. "Yes ma'am."

Zoey shook her head, not able to help the smile on her face. She huffed before rolling her eyes and turning her head my way. "Anyway, do you plan to tell us where you disappeared to yesterday?"

I let out a shallow breath as I chuckled awkwardly, raising my cup to take a sip of my coffee.

The events of day before were, to say the least, astonishing. Never had I ever imagined that I would be kidnapped by the notorious bad boy of the school - and a gang member at that nonetheless - let alone that I'll be striking a deal with him.

A literal deal with the devil.

The fact that my life was one of the things apparently being bet on in that ordeal definitely did not manage to calm my nervousness.

Nevertheless, I had made a promise - and that was one I meant to keep.

"Nothing, really. Mom called, she wasn't feeling well." I consequently said, brushing the topic off, ignoring the tightness in my chest that came as a side effect of blatantly lying to my best friends.

They both nodded their heads, thankfully seeming satisfied with my excuse.

Leila's black coffee arrived on the table a few moments later as we continued to talk. I didn't miss the momentary stand-off between Leila and Margaret as the latter saw her accept her black coffee without a single protest.

I inwardly chuckled as I looked at their contest, Margaret's face showing suspicion while Leila's feigning the innocence of an angel's.

My eyes involuntarily travelled behind their forms as I assessed them, and it was then that my neck did a double take.

The coffee in my mouth sputtered outside as I choked on it, my eyes widening as I assessed the sight right outside the open glass window of the cafe.

It can't be.

Straightening up in my seat, I coughed repeatedly, putting a hand on my chest. I felt Zoey's hand placing itself on my back, rubbing it with confusion and concern. "Lia? You okay?"