04 | something more to come

[ Author's note at the end]

| Amelia |

"I can't believe you would let him threaten you like that." Zoey huffed, glaring at me as the three of us entered the small cafe near our school.

"I would have kicked his ass right then and there had I known." Leila interjected, a major hint of annoyance clear in her voice.

The bell at the top of the door chimed as we made our way in, hanging our bags on the chairs and taking a seat by the large window.

The cafe was where we occasionally came to unwind once school was over. It was a small, relatively isolated place, but its location and charm managed to lure us back every time. Over the years, coming here at least twice a week had gradually become a tradition between the three of us.

"As much as I would love to see that," I chuckled as I turned my head towards Leila, "I didn't really have a choice. He just wouldn't let me speak."

Noticing the glares both of them were throwing my way, I rolled my eyes. "It isn't like I'm going to ever meet him again." I stated in a matter-of-fact tone, but inwardly questioned my own statement in my head.

I realised I had said the same thing the first time we had interacted in the classroom, and yet I had found myself being threatened by him merely a few hours later. Who was to say we wouldn't - much to my horror - meet again?

"Well, we better hope that's the case." Leila grumbled before averting her gaze to the middle-aged woman who had by now appeared beside us, a small notepad and pencil in her hand.

"What can I get you today?" She asked, her tone beaming with a sarcasm while her mouth curved into a knowing smile.

"Marge, we know you know our exact orders." I chuckled as I took in her feigned professionalism while a sly smile appeared on her face. Since we had been coming here ever since junior year, Margaret, the head waitress, had come to know us quite well, and knew exactly what each of us wanted.

She hummed while looking at the three of us. "Milkshake, coffee, and..." She stopped for a second as she pursed her lips and averted her focus to Leila, rolling her eyes. "...vodka."

We instantly let out a laugh while Leila huffed, her face clearly showing her annoyance. "That was one time!" She groaned in an irritated manner, crossing her arms in front of her chest and leaning into her seat before mumbling under her breath. "Plus, it isn't like you actually took my suggestion, now did you?"

Margaret exhaled heartily as she smiled at us, sighing. "I knew everything I needed to know about you lot that day." She reminisced, eyeing us amusedly. "Nothing says 'different' quite like milkshake, coffee and vodka on one table."

She winked before writing the orders down and retreating into the kitchen, leaving the three of us chuckling behind her like little children. After a pause, Zoey resumed our conversation. "By the way, are we planning to go to Madison's?"

My brows furrowed as I eyed her in confusion. "She's keeping that this year?"

Leila rested her head on the table and groaned. "Man, isn't that girl tired of throwing a party on the first day of school every year?" She complained, "I mean, can't we just admit as a society that none of us enjoy going to school? And the event, therefore, requires no celebration?"

I chuckled at her reaction. "Yeah, but on the bright side, at least we have something to look forward to." I shrugged, mumbling a 'thank you' to Margaret as she arrived with a tray and kept our cups on the table. I almost bursted in laughter at the way Leila threw a disgusted look at the black coffee that had been brought to her. Nevertheless, she thanked Margaret with a dry smile as we continued to talk.