24 | crime and punishment

| Amelia |

My nose scrunched in revulsion at the bitter taste that slid down my throat, but I gulped it down nevertheless.

Smacking my tongue to savour the aftertaste, I tilted my head and averted my gaze towards Noah, who was watching me in interest.

His lips curved into a smirk as mischief glinted in his eyes. "I didn't know you could drink." He teased, resting his elbows on his knees in front of him, leaning further into the wall.

I pulled a saccharine smile back at him, for once teasing him back. "I didn't know you could watch children's movies."

Obviously displeased with my retort, he immediately put his thumb and index finger at the edges of my lips, pinching them together and successfully wiping the smile off my face.

"I thought we agreed to not mention that again." He chided, retreating his touch, "and you, sweetheart, know nothing about me."

Ouch. 

Normally, I would've shut right up after that remark, preferring to stay in the comfort and safety of my own space bubble; but feeling particularly brave at the moment, I simply frowned in response, questioning what he had said. 

"I don't think that's completely true."

The remark made him turn his head to the side to face me, one of his brows cocked in interest. "Is that so?"

"Mhm." I thought - almost absentmindedly - for a moment about all the things that had transpired since the beginning of the semester: the first warning in class, the confrontations that followed after, the secret conversation in that unfortunate alley...

How I got to know, however unwillingly, so much more about the mysterious boy I wouldn't have dared to even breathe at earlier.

"I know you're in a gang."

I then blurted out suddenly, raising my eyes to look into his, not for a moment second-guessing my words.

He seemed taken aback for an indecipherable second before he broke into a low chuckle, clicking his tongue.

"You're feeling adventurous tonight, huh?"

On instinct, I shook my head rapidly. "No...I don't mean to pry, just-"

"Relax," he stopped me before I could babble further, shrugging his shoulders, way too calm for me to be used to, "it's something you're already aware of, aren't you?"

All I could do was nod unsurely as he continued, a tight tick forming in his jaw. 

"And now you also know about my dad."

A sudden tension filled the space as he mentioned his father, reminding me of the night of the party; how he had changed demeanours in the blink of an eye, faltering in his image as the philanthropic, kind-hearted businessman everyone knew him to be. 

The event had baffled me. I couldn't fathom why Mr. Carter would behave like that, especially with his own son, when he seemed so approachable and light-hearted at the entry gate that night.