14 | father dear

[ This chapter is dedicated to @TaniaTurner8 for the wonderful comments and support! I appreciate it so much<3 ]

| Amelia |

"What's happening here, son?"

The tone of command and authority present in the interrupting voice managed to halt the murmurs of the guests that had surrounded the scene - even though a considerable part of it was filled with puzzlement at our current position. 

An anticipating silence now filled the large space, the only sound I could hear being that of my own heart.

Faintly recognising the voice in my mind, I told myself to get away from Noah's hold right that instant, but I found that I was frozen in my spot, unable to move. So frozen and stuck, in fact, that I couldn't even find it in myself to avert my eyes from the dark forest green ones I was currently staring into. 

With his hand tangling itself in my hair, pulling my body backward, and the other pinning both of my wrists behind my back, there was hardly any way I could get out of his binding hold. 

Something in Noah seemed to shift as he heard his father's voice, enough to make him dismiss his irritation with me for the night. I saw the already deep hue of his eyes darken as he took it in, making his jaw tick so much I thought it would break.

Slowly, he loosened his grip on my strands. 

My gaze remained fixed on him - analysing his actions - as I felt his lock on my wrists slip away as well, making me shiver slightly at the sudden rush of cold air that met my body. 

"Just go along with it, 'kay?" He whispered irritably in the still tiny space between us, but before I could even contemplate what he had said, he turned around to stand beside me while casually encircling a hand around my hip.

Oh my god. 

If it wasn't for his father standing right there in front of us, I would've let out a squeak at his sudden action; he did it so casually, as if it didn't affect him in the least. Meanwhile, my mind was reeling with the sheer amount of times Noah had managed to churn my stomach today, all as a result of his seemingly off-handed gestures. 

I jerked upward just a bit at his ministrations, but - thankfully - Mr. Carter didn't notice, probably still puzzled by our previous position. 

"Is everything okay?" He asked again, raising his brow, gaze switching between Noah and I.  

"Everything's perfectly okay." Noah answered from beside me while tugging me slightly closer, something in his voice suddenly changing; I didn't know what it was, but his teeth seemed gritted and his words, forced.

My brows furrowed at the clear rudeness in his tone as he addressed his father. 

Mr. Carter was unconvinced. He cocked his head to the side by a degree - interestingly, a spitting image of what I had seen Noah do whenever he was up for an argument or faced with a challenge - while coming closer to us, his curiosity peaked. 

"Are you sure? Things seemed...tense."

"Everything's fine." Noah's anger increased, his eyes narrowing at the edges to stare at his father in hostility.