17 | vanilla and coconuts

[ This chapter is Noah's point of view from the night of the party. I could've pegged it off as a bonus chapter, but it's essential for the story to progress and doesn't contain any repeated plot, so I didn't. Happy reading<3 ]

| Noah |

My eyes followed each and every small, insignificant movement of hers as she was pulled away by her friend, my insides still burning in anger because of what had occurred just moments before.

Not only had she listened to - eavesdropped on - my conversation with Paul a few days ago, but now she had also witnessed my father's unbridled nature first-hand.

Just my fucking luck.

I couldn't help but curse at myself. I should've known the moment I saw her standing at the bar that she was going to be a problem for me tonight.

"Woah, someone looks like he's about to explode."

The familiar voice made me avert my gaze onto its owner; I found her approaching me from a few feet away.

It was then that I noticed that my knuckles had already started to turn white.

A low grunt resounded from my throat as I reluctantly released my fists, addressing her directly when she stopped in front of me.

"I'm not in the mood for jokes, Sophie."

Not taking what I had said seriously - as per usual - she rolled her eyes. 

"Don't give me that. I saw you both dancing with each other." She gave me a sly look, putting special emphasis on 'dancing'. She waited a few seconds for dramatic effect before speaking further. 

"Kind of romantic, don't you think?"

My jaw clenched as I fixed her with a deathly glare, reevaluating why I had allowed her to have this level of comfort with me in the first place. "I suggest you shut up right now, hm?"

She rolled her eyes again but conceded nevertheless, knowing her boundaries. As close as we had gotten because of what we did for the gang, the truth remained: she worked for me, and just like the rest, she was extremely aware of that fact.

It's how it was supposed to be. 

"Fine, relax." She mumbled under her breath, silently diverting her gaze to the people who were in attendance at the party, "I just needed a distraction anyway." 

As much as she managed to irk me, we admittedly did have some sort of a friendship; which was precisely why I knew exactly what she was looking for.

"Looking for someone?" I broke her analysation, making her turn her head to face me again.

Her eyes instantly widened, caught by surprise, before she recovered and attempted to pull a straight face. "No, why would you say that?"

"You were bickering with someone, weren't you? Just moments ago?" I questioned, a smirk involuntarily making its way onto my face. "Leila, wasn't it?"

Her form immediately tensed at the mention of the name, her head lowering itself. She now focused on her feet. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Hm," I tilted my head introspectively, getting slightly closer to her, "You both had a fight and now you're searching for her in a crowd you know she isn't a part of."

The smirk made its way onto my face again as she raised her head in confusion, trying to figure out the point I was trying to make.

I lifted my brow.