12 | dance with me

| Amelia |

"Why did you break his nose again, dear?"

I bit my lip awkwardly, not sure how to explain the series of events that had taken place just about an hour ago.

Ultimately settling on a sigh, I briefly glanced at Calvin's slowly recovering form on the bed and then back at the school nurse, flashing the older lady a hesitant smile.

"It wasn't me, actually," I tried to explain as well as I could, "He...let's just say he got into a small quarrel..."

But that was apparently all the information she had required, for the next second she cut me off and huffed exasperatedly.

"Let me guess, Noah Carter?" She shook her head in annoyance, muttering words under her breath angrily before averting her attention to the bandage in her fingers. "That boy, I swear to god."

Her voice was filled only with sheer malice, but that wasn't surprising. Considering his reputation in the school, probably half the students she treated were in some way or other in here because of Noah. He certainly wasn't known for controlling his anger.

I watched as she carefully began placing the bandage on Calvin's broken nose, making him whimper slightly - a sign that he was slowly coming out of his state of unconsciousness.

As much as I may have wanted to simply leave Calvin lying in the hallway for all to see, I knew I couldn't have done that. I couldn't have just left him there when he clearly needed help. When Noah left, my only option was to bring his body into the infirmary with the help of a nearby student.

My thoughts were broken by the sudden irritated sound that left the nurse's mouth.

"I've told that old hag about that rascal of a boy so many times, but he always gets away." She grumbled under her breath, her eyes briefly addressing me before going back to work.

My brows furrowed at her words before I asked, confused, "Um, what old hag?"

"The headmistress, who else?" Her tone was casual and off-hand, almost as if I was dumb to ask for clarification.

"O-Oh."

Oblivious to my puzzlement, she continued. "He's a curse on this school, I tell you. That rascal always gets away without so much as a detention."

Suddenly, she stopped what she was doing for a moment to tilt her head closer to mine, her voice now eerily low and discrete.

"It's easy when you've got a millionaire of a father."

My head leaned back in surprise at the unexpected proximity as I took in her words. I was never one for gossip, but even I couldn't help but have a slight clue about what she was implying.

Noah's dad had been a trustee at the school since years. Being the founder of a large international corporation, he had given the majority of the funds required for the construction of a large part of what was our current campus.

Given that fact, he - and consequentially, Noah - was basically feared by more than half the teachers in the school...including the headmistress.

Having finished with the task at hand, the school nurse retreated her head from near me and stood up from her chair, her frustration still radiating from her. She assessed the bandaged wound one final time before crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"Life really is a comedy for the rich."

And with that last huff, she stomped out of the infirmary, leaving me behind, staring after her with amusedly.