25. Heart Attack

Bronwyn’s POV.

“Yep, alright… thank you, bye!”

I sighed as I placed the phone down, hanging up. I didn’t have time for phone calls at the moment. No one did really; the whole team was preoccupied printing and writing the magazine issue for January. We had to have it done by the eleventh of December since everyone would have holidays soon. I had been at work since eight and due to not getting much sleep last night I was dead tired. I had to remind myself to stay awake since I’m pretty sure that no one wanted someone asleep right now. Jay sat down next to me, exhaling exasperatedly. He had been working on his own article and with Monique and Lee on the What’s Hot section all morning and was just as tired as I was.

“How’s it going?” I asked as Jay placed his head in his hand. I wasn’t doing much besides organising subscriptions and taking calls since I was only a junior worker. I had learnt by now that Miranda preferred to get younger employees so they could relate to the target audience. I was still a bit confused as to why Miranda gave me an interview with One Direction first. 

“It’s ok. Monique and Lee keep changing the layout though and it’s driving me insane.”

“Tell me about it. I’m trying to organise these subscriptions but every time I try to, I get a phone call!”

We chuckled half-heartedly. “Same thing happens to me. I have to go between my article and then the What’s Hot. When I come back to my article I can’t remember what I was about to write.”

“Talking about the article, what’s it on?”

Jay tensed up, averting his gaze. He shuffled on his chair as if he was hiding something. I didn’t want to press it but I felt as if somehow this article involved me. Which was crazy, since I wasn’t famous. Sure, a few people knew about me because I dated Harry Styles but that wasn’t something to be famous for. If it was a reason to be famous, every time I would walk onto the street someone would start fangirling because it’s Harry Style’s girlfriend. Not Bronwyn Taylor, Harry Style’s girlfriend. I didn’t exactly want that to happen. Plus, I hadn’t exactly been that fond of fangirls so I preferred not to be famous. They still frightened me in some sort of weird way.

I decided to change the subject since Jay clearly wasn’t comfortable answering. “Yeah… So um, what are you doing for Christmas?”

“Um, I’m going to stay with my partner and just have a nice home holiday.”

“Really?” I raised an eyebrow. “Not going to see your parents?”

Jay ducked his head and mumbled, “Ah, no. They don’t really approve of me being… um gay.”

I frowned and patted his back awkwardly. I didn’t understand how people could have a problem with someone being gay. Love was love whether it was between a man and woman or man and man or woman and woman. “Sorry,” I muttered. “It must be hard.”

“Yeah-”

I jumped as the phone rang and I immediately grabbed it. On the phone was Danielle and strangely, she was extremely happy. I couldn’t tell what was up and every time I asked her, she wouldn’t tell. Dani wanted me to come over after work and so I promised that I would meet her at her flat. A strange excitement filled me and I couldn’t wait to find out what Danielle was so excited about.

.

The rest of the day passed in a daze and soon enough five o’clock came and I left. My head was cramped full of printer noises, printer malfunctions, subscriptions, conversation with Jay, frozen computers and colour schemes. I couldn’t wait to collapse on my bed as soon as I got home. As I grabbed my bag, ready to leave Teen Now I bumped into someone. Please no.