16. Tell Me A Lie

Bronwyn's POV.

"But, but..." I stammered. 

Miranda stared at me sympathetically. "I'll let you sleep on it. Have the day off." She led me out of her office as I walked past in a daze. That wasn't fair and surely it was against my human rights. What happened to freedom of choice people? And what would I do? I loved Harry and I couldn't just let him go because of some job. But I needed the job if I wanted to chase my dream. Why was life so complicated?

I didn't notice the others around me as I stumbled out of Teen Magazine. It was like I had blocked them out, along with the rest of the world, and now it was only me and my thoughts. I subconsciously put my arm out to hail down a taxi, sliding in once it had pulled over. It had started raining outside - was that just a coincidence or a sign? I sighed, resting my head against the glass, feeling the tiny vibrations as the car drove down the road. The glass was cool, strong - the only steady thing in my life at the moment. How could I tell Harry about this knew proposition? What would he tell me to do? I couldn't tell him - it would break me to see his face fall once he heard the news. Could I tell him a lie?

That question was answered pretty quickly as I got out of the cab. I couldn't. I tugged my jumper on, pulling up the hood, and ran down the slippery footpath, trying to get back to the apartment as soon as possible. The rain started to pour, bigger droplets of water pelting onto the ground. It drenched the wisps of hair hanging out from under my hoodie, and my converse clad feet where uncomfortably squishy due to the water. I normally didn't mind rain, but right now I just needed to see Harry. I needed to decide what I would do. 

I skipped up the staircase to the lad's flat, knocking twice before the door was opened. Harry tugged open the door and shock transformed his face as he stared at my wet figure. I hardly looked at him, focusing more on the hem of my sleeves. After a few seconds of us pretending to be statues, I enveloped him in a hug. 

He wrapped his arms around me and as we pulled slightly apart, he put a finger under my chin and lifted it to face him. I cast my eyes to the floor. I couldn't stare at his emerald green irises. 

"Bronwyn, what's wrong?" 

"I-I... It will be easier if we sit down." Harry nodded and we went to sit on the couch, his hand entwined with mine. He started rubbing circles on my palm, calming me. "I went to work and Miranda told me that... She said that if I want to continue working as a journalist, I cannot be... I'm not allowed to be in a relationship with you." I choked out the sentence. Tears bit at the back of my eyes but I was determined to not let them fall. 

The lounge shifted as Harry moved beside me. I turned to face him, noticing that he had run his hand through his hair and had a look of ambivalence. I swallowed as he didn't move for another minute. What if he decided that I should just call the relationship off? That's not what I would want...

 "I'm not giving up." Harry stated, determined and strong.

"Huh?"

"We can't let that happen. I'm not going to let you go and you're going to keep your dream." How the hell would he do that? "We will have to go incognito."

I stopped myself from cracking up laughing as I saw how serious Harry was. His forehead was slightly creased with worry and I just wanted to lift my hand up and smooth the wrinkles out. "How will we do that Harry?"

"You're not going to like this but we will have to stage a 'break up'. It will be over the tabloids for a while which I'm sorry about, but it is the only way we can make this work. After that we will only be together here," He pointed to the apartment, "And in desolate places where no one knows who the hell I am."