"What's A Girl Going To Do?"

Athena's p.o.v

I ran through the crowd with blurry vision from the tears daring to stream down my face. At this moment I was acting purely on primal instinct, flight or fight as they like to call it and you can guess which I was adhering to.

"Take me home please." I pulled on Allesandro's sleeve trying to get his attention away from the blonde he was conversing with.

"What's wrong princess? Did Dante hurt you? I swear to God if he did, his face will become acquainted with my fist."

"No, I .... Let's just go home please." I beg.

Allesandro covers me with his jacket, almost shielding me from our surroundings as we make our way outside.

Once in a cab on our way home, he placed a hand on my thigh and gently patted it - something we would do to each other as kids whenever the other was upset. This kind gesture made me feel safe, like all my troubles disappeared yet my mind couldn't forget the look on Dante's face when I walked away.

End of p.o.v

At Athena's apartment.

After explaining the events of the night to her best friend, Athena let out an exuberated sigh whilst Sandro tried to process the information he had just heard.

"There's more to this story then you're letting on and this time I don't think Dante is the one keeping secrets." Allesandro expressed his concerns.

"You're right. You know who my father is and how important the family business is to him right?"

"How can I forget the Matias Ruiz of Ruiz international, biggest exporting agency in South America. Your father had my family screened to make sure we weren't gold diggers."

"My father donated over a million dollars to Mayor Ramirez's campaign in the last election, I remember my brothers attending some faux charity event to represent the family. What if he is involved in the drug trade as well? I mean it would make sense right? An exporting company making sure a corrupt official stays in power?"

"Well there's only one way to find out, we need to go home."

"After all these years? We can't just show up in Venezuela and start poking around the family business, I once made it clear to my father that I want nothing to do with it."

"What if we go for other reasons that can mask our true motives?"

"Like what?"

"Athena Ruiz, will you marry me?" Allesandro gets down on one knee and holds up the bottle cap from the beer he had being sipping.

"You're joking right?"

"Think about it, a fake engagement is the perfect ploy. Your father and brothers will be fussing over you which gives me enough time to do some snooping. Plus you and I have history so our story will check out."

"If by history you mean you stopped my first proposal from happening and the fact that we're childhood best friends and ex fuck buddies then you're right, let's do this."

"Have you thought what you would do if your father is mixed up in all this?" Sandro pours Athena another drink and hands it to her.

"On one hand if he is guilty and I tell him about Dante's plans to blow up the entire operation, he could take the information straight to the drug cartel and that would result in a blood bath.

"And on the other hand if Dante is successful in taking down Mayor Ramirez and the cartel, your father will be in the cross fire."

"What's a girl going to do?"