Summer Chapter 5: Flame Explained

This...is the peak experience of a darkened soul. I cannot live like the people of my kingdom do. I can only lead them, and hope for the day a righteous soul will kindle the fire, putting me at rest.

-Prince Y/N, 1348. (Excerpt from, Knights of Lineage.)

1346 A.D.
Prince Y/N's Courtyard
Prince Y/N Era

In the kingdom, it was officially known today that Y/N had...supernatural powers. He couldn't keep this by himself, nor could his entire royal family which consisted of his father really.

Nonetheless, they were still happy to serve a leader who was strong and tactical. Little did he know as of 18, three years later he would meet an unfaithful death.

But that wasn't the case here, the kingdom wasn't focused on that, and neither was Prince Y/N. This...was something way...way worse.

Y/N: "I suppose you don't have an solution to our situation here?"

The Prince declares, and before him, are knights. Three knights in fact, but they aren't just any other knights...no.

Those are the Lord of Cinders.

Bearer of the Curse: "With all due respect, I'm not even sure the other Lord of Cinders will even assist you...uh...

Ashen One: "Soul of Cinder. Last time I went against him he was just a burning skeleton in rusty armor. It seems he has been...reincarnated?"

Y/N: "More like a product of the First Flame. After you linked with the fire, I had to be given...human characteristics..."

Ashen One: "H-hey! Don't blame this one on me! I think the human look suits you! Given that we are all undead..."

Undead Chosen: "Enough! Lord Y/N has an urgent situation at hand, and we need to help him!"

Y/N: "Yes. Like I was discussing earlier, I've been brought with the fact that I will live longer than anyone here in this kingdom."

Bearer of the Curse: "Unfortunately. You have to cope with the fact that it is what it is. The only way you could possibly die is...if you are killed and the flame is not kindled in such time."

Y/N: "Care to explain?"

Ashen One: "I was used to feed the fire, but I came back and successfully linked with it, yes, it took a long time, but without anything or anyone to fuel the fire, it'll run out."

Y/N: "...and so, just like the legends, the entire world will be casted in darkness...?"

The Prince asks, and three of the knights look at each other, which causes Y/N's face to be fixed with confusion.

Undead Chosen: "This...new world, is not thriving with magic. Enemies we used to fight back then aren't here-"

Ashen One: "Because we practically killed them all."

Undead Chosen: "-meaning, Prince Y/N. There's no absolute way anyone can kindle fire because...the fire's in you."

Y/N: "I understand that, but I feel as if there's a deeper meaning behind those words."

Bearer of the Curse: "When you were reborn after Ash defeated you, the first flame is tied to you, meaning, if you die, the flame dies along with you."

Ashen One: "Your death is supposed to end along with the thousands of years the flame has reigned. The legend...finally ends here."

Y/N fixed a confused face, before adjusting himself in his royal chair as the three of them standing proudly in their respective armor

Y/N: "What do you mean...the legend ends here? Th-that's not what's supposed to happen."