Dragon Call Part 1

Alexandra's point of view:

It was early as the morning breeze blew across my face lifting any loose hair around my face. My mother decided that it would be best if we lived with a family friend for a while. Personally, I believe Merlin's magic became stressful for her. And because she loved him, she wanted him to be safe. I had no idea what powers I had or how to use them. I guess you can say Merlin and I had that in common. Speaking of the troublemaker, he was walking beside me with a simple bag strapped to his back. I hate that we have to leave behind the only home we've ever had. I had a friend and a mother, food, a house, and even work, which isn't much but it was enough for me. I glanced at Merlin to observe his motions. He seemed to be in his own world as we passed a lake and more trees. To be honest, I am excited to see Camelot. I have heard of the great city and how it is always busy. Merlin turned to me and smiled stupidly. He started running. I rolled my eyes and quickly followed suit. We laughed and giggled as we raced each other down the path. However, that moment came to pass as we approached the top of the hill. Scanning onwards, you could see the magnificent walls of Camelot. The sun rays beamed on the stone reflecting a deep grayish-blue tone. Merlin tapped my shoulder indicating we should continue on. I nodded and we went on our way. Slowly we entered the walls of Camelot. My curiosity sparked as townspeople went on about their day. My eyes scanned every house, market, and person. That's when my eyes landed on a crowd standing near the castle. I nudged Merlin indicating we should see what was going on.

Merlin took the lead and held my hand as we weaved our way through the group. I looked up to see the King making his way to the end of the balcony. Drums echoed in the background. "Let this serve as a lesson to you all," he paused, "This man, Thomas James Collins is guilty of conspiring the use of enchantments and magic." The crowd gasped. "And from the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon have decreed that such practices are bound of the penalty of death." Merlin glanced at me as I gulped. "I pride myself a fair and just King, but for the crime of sorcery there is but one sentence I can pass.." The king's nodded his head and Thomas was moments from being beheaded. With the swift movement of the executor's ax, Thomas's head rolled into the woven basket. My whole body tensed up and I reached for Merlin's hand to squeeze. Uther then declared a festival for it had been twenty years since the Great Dragon had been captured. Then, a screeching wail was heard throughout the crowd. An old hag plodded towards the castle. "The only evil in Camelot is you. You've had taken my son." She rambled on some more. "And I promise you Uther when these festivities are over you will have felt my pain: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a son for a son!" She screamed! The fearful king threw the guards after her, but she was already gone in a whirl of wind and smoke. The crowd dispersed as if nothing had happened. Fear filling Merlin and myself we quickly found our way to the court physician's chambers.

Merlin knocked on the door. There was no response. I lightly pushed on the door and surveyed the room. Merlin walked after me saying hello, which seemed to startle the elderly man as he fell from the upper level. My eyes flashed gold. Time began to slow as Merlin slid the patient cot underneath Gaius to break his fall. Our eyes returned to their natural colors and there was a crash. The physician tumbled out of his fall and stared in disbelief at Merlin and me. "What was that?" he demanded. Merlin began to stutter. "If anyone were to see that..." Gaius trailed off.

"But they won't," I said with certainty. Gaius looked at me and practically yelled, "Where did you study it?"

Merlin replied by saying that we had never studied magic before. Gaius continued to not believe us. Merlin even told him that we were born like this. The old man paused for a minute, then asked, "Who are you?"