The Moment of Truth Part 1

Alexandra's Point of View:

Having townfolk recognize you from off the cobblestone street was pretty exciting. It's been three weeks since I fought the mysterious Black Knight. Gaius said the only reason I did not get punished by Uther that day was because the King understood the threat. I continued down the familiar pathway. The baker was running around picking up supplies to make a fresh batch of bread before most of the town woke. The blacksmith could be heard working on a sword. Sighing contently, I began to pump the water into the wooden bucket. It was a quiet morning and there was not a cloud in sight. I was eloped into a hug which startled me. My eyes left the pump and met with my mother. My right hand lifted her face towards mine. She had been crying and a purple bruise formed on her left cheek. "Mother!" I gasped, "Who did this to you?"

"Kanen, he's a warlord and they plan to take everything," she wept into my arms. I assisted my mother back to the castle. Luckily, Merlin was still in his chambers, so he could watch her. I made my way to Arthur's chambers. Since Merlin was always behind, I could get Arthur ready and ask for counsel with the King. I knocked on his chamber door just to make sure Arthur was not already awake. He wasn't, but that's not really surprising. I drew the curtains and with a sing-song voice said, "Rise and Shine, your majesty." I giggled as he fell off his bed. My appearance was a shock. It was my hope to embarrass him so that he would easily fulfill my request. I snagged a tray of breakfast from the kitchen before I came to wake the prince up. I laid the tray on his desk and searched through his closet for something he could be seen wearing. I laid his red shirt on the bed with a pair of black trousers. It took Arthur a second or two to regain his composure. He held his blanket around his body and his sandy blonde hair was disheveled. I placed my hand over my mouth to suppress an unladylike laugh. 

"Alexandra, what are you doing here?" He questioned. I knew my plan was working because he was extremely confused. 

"Well, Merlin was late per usual, so I thought I could help out since I needed to ask you something." He looked me over to see if I was serious. I dropped my smile and act because the request was quite important. "My mother arrived in Camelot and said her village is being attacked by a bandit named Kanen." Arthur's mood seemed to change at the mention of the warlord's name. "My village needs help, Would you request a meeting with your father?" I asked, but it sounded desperate. 

He walked closer to me. A wave of nervousness washed over me. I should learn to run my plans through Gaius before I act on them and maybe not treat the royal prince of Camelot like he's my friend. "Alex, we'll go now, while he has time. There isn't time to follow protocol with an event like this." I sighed releasing a breath that I didn't know I was holding in. Helping the prince get ready for the day wasn't as bad as Merlin described it. We walked together but split off as I went towards the physician chambers and Arthur went towards the throne room. 

I held onto my mother as I guided her to the middle of the great hall and in front of us sat the Great Uther and his ward to his right. Of course, the royal prat sat to the left, although the royal prat didn't seem like one right now. He sat with pride and there was an air of confidence around him. It was powerful, but admirable at the same time. My mother pleaded her case with the King. She begged for his help to stop the tyrannical bandits. Uther claimed he couldn't send troops to help for it would be seen as war since Ealdor lies in Cendred's Kingdom. He proclaimed he would like to help, but it is out of his power to do so. 

"We could spare a few men," Arthur stated to his father. Uther dismissed the court with a wave of his hand ending any disagreement. My mother wept on the floor. Quickly, I glided to her and brought her to her feet. With my free hand, I laid her head on my shoulder. We walked out like this with Merlin on her other side. We were almost back to the room in the place I call home, but Merlin apologized before disappearing. Gaius handed my mother something to drink. We sat across from her not sure how to help her cope. It pained me deeply to see her crying.