The Mark of Nimueh Part 2

Alexandra's Point of View:

In the morning, I felt even worse and Merlin wasn't there. I tried to get out of bed, but I rolled onto the floor. I crawled to the mirror and I looked terrifying. My eyes were laced with blue. I was pale again and my skin was ice cold. My hair was turning white. I continued to crawl to the spell book that Merlin usually hides under the bed. I found that same page and read the spell. My voice was gone so I focused my mind and silently cast the spell. Although my health is not better, I looked normal. With all the strength I had, I left my bedroom.

"Gaius where is Merlin?"

He said, "He healed Gwen's father, and now she is accused of witchcraft."

"So where is Merlin now?"

"The Great Hall." I ran as fast as I could out of the chambers. Merlin couldn't be turning himself in. He's an idiot, but he's my brother. I slammed into the walls a couple of times because I was losing consciousness. Merlin was exiting the Great Hall with Arthur.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I said to Merlin while holding onto a wall.

"Alexandra..." Merlin went to say but Arthur cut him off.

"Alexandra you seem weak, are you okay?" He grabbed my arm and let me lean on him. "You've been gone since last night." Cleary I looked confused. I slept the whole seven hours.

"I need to find Morgana," Merlin said.
"Why?" I asked.
"I'll explain later," said Merlin. Arthur looked at me and brought me back to the physician's chambers. I sat on the patient's cot with my head pressed against Arthur's shoulder. I lacked my normal energy and senses.

"Alexandra, you have the illness. Gwen told me you also drank from the water," Gaius said and I only nodded my head. Gaius caught me up on everything that happened while I was asleep. Gwen was in jail for healing her father even though it was Merlin, there was a creature in the vault, and the guards were building a fire for Gwen. Then he told me that the source was a magical creature called the Afanc.

"We need to defeat the Afanc," I said wearily.

"No, you need to rest; Merlin and I will go," Arthur said.

"No, I need to know you both are safe," I whispered. With weariness, I stood up, "Let's go princey." I teased.

"Alexandra!" he called.

"You can either help me or watch me struggle." I left it at that. Merlin said to meet him by the palace staircase. Arthur joined my pace staying at my side at all times. He helped me down the stairs and we walked over to Merlin and Morgana.

"Let's get going," Merlin said. We entered the vault. "Remember keep your eyes out for anything moving." Merlin moved next to me and Arthur moved next to Morgana. Merlin whispered, "Alexandra, the Afanc is of water and earth. It must be destroyed by fire and air."

I whispered back, "Merlin, I'm sick I don't have the strength to cast any spell." I could tell my spell wore off. Once again, my skin was ice and pale. The veins in my body turned bright blue.

"Oh my... Alexandra." Morgana gasped.

"I know, I had the water from the lower town with Gwen's father," I said. All three of them laid their eyes on me. "We have to keep going and not waste time." I pushed ahead of the group. There was a growl that echoed in the cave. Arthur had his sword at ready. Morgana and Arthur had torches.

"You should stay here," Arthur said.

"I'm coming with you," Morgana replied.

"No!"

"Scared I'll show you up?"

"Father would slam us both in chains if he knew I endangered you."

"Good thing he doesn't know about it then."

"I'm telling you Morgana turn back; you could get hurt."

"So could you, if you don't get out of my way," she replied. I stifled a laugh. She caught up to me.

"Stop!" Arthur called out.

"There I saw a shadow," I said pointing to the right. Arthur ran towards it and I followed him. Morgana and Merlin went the other way. Snarling and growling echoed in the halls. I grabbed the torch from Arthur and held it toward the creature as it lunged at Arthur. It roared and backed away into the shadows.

"What is it? Are you two alright?" Morgana cried.

"Yeah, we saw it," Arthur answered. The creature reappeared in front of all of us. I jumped ahead of Morgana and pushed the fire at the Afanc. We tracked the creature through the snarling and growling. In the corner of the vault, we trapped the Afanc. Arthur took Morgana's torch and began to walk forward. I looked at Merlin and he began to cast a wind spell. All of the sudden, a gust of wind blew inside the vault. The breeze mixed with the fire and killed the Afanc. As the Afanc died he let out a mighty roar, and flames erupted. The Afanc was merely a puddle now. Arthur was confused about the wind, but I collapsed. No more strength, not even in the magic in me. I'm tired of fighting and the adrenaline rush wore out.

I must have slept until the next morning because Merlin was on the chair next to me.

"You look better," he said.

"I feel better," I smiled back. He told me that the sorcerer was actually a sorceress named Nimueh. I slowly got out of bed and we joined Gaius for breakfast.

"Alexandra, I'm so glad that you're better," Gaius said.

"Thank you and I assume Gwen is out of jail," I responded.

"Yes, and let's just hope you and Merlin didn't strike the attention of Nimueh."

Oh how he was wrong about that...