The Gates of Avalon Part 1

Alexandra's Point of View:

I was by myself for most of the morning. Gaius trusted that I could make the remedies myself without supervision. He was off in the town delivering and treating the regulars. It was quiet and relaxing. Merlin, Gaius, and I made up after the whole situation with Edwin. Gaius even made my favorite meal which is not easy to make since it is not a traditional Camelot dish. Humming to myself, I was working on a remedy for an ear infection. I crushed up a great mullein leaf with some ginger and garlic. The chamber flew open as I mixed those ingredients into a vile containing tea tree oil. Morgana rushed in with panic on her face. I assumed that she had another nightmare. Only Gaius and I knew her nightmares were actually visions.

"Morgana, you almost made me drop a vile!" I exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, Alex, I just needed to speak with you."

"More nightmares," I commented observing her state.

"Yes, but Arthur's life is at stake, and..."

"From the beginning, so we don't miss a detail. I want to protect Arthur as much as you do, Morgana." I said.

"Okay, Arthur was drowning in a lake. He was sinking and unconscious."

"Alright, what happened next?"

"There was a woman standing over him. She was about your age and had brown hair. Her eyes were a cool brown and she was smiling. She drowned him."

I hugged her close and reassured her that we would be there to protect Arthur. "Whether Arthur will admit it or not, you and I will always be there to protect him." She nodded still accepting my embrace. This gave me the time to see Morgana's vision myself. With our bodies touching, I am able to search her memories. When I first learned about Morgana's visions, I read through the spellbook looking for a spell that would allow me to see what other people had already thought. It was dangerous and Gaius requested that I don't use the spell, but access to Morgana's visions was an advantage when it comes to saving the royal prat's life. I let my eyes flash gold as I scanned through her memories for the nightmare. A second later, I saw it too. Hues of yellow in the body of water as he lay there helpless and a woman grinning overtop of him."They should be back soon. Why don't we go wait for them?"

We left together with our arms linked together. We made our way to the Great Hall where we would wait for Arthur. We walked inside to see Arthur already there. Morgana hastily took her seat and I moved to the side with Merlin. Everyone's attention was on Arthur and the two unusual strangers. There was an old man who I guessed was the young woman's father. I stared at her father closely. His staff was of magic. It was obvious at least to anyone with some common sense. The staff held a blue crystal and there was writing down the staff. Then my eyes fluttered to the woman and I gasped. It was the mysterious woman from Morgana's vision and she had a matching staff. I turned to the ward and her face was pale. I knew I had to keep a close eye on the girl because Uther granted a stay to the pair at the castle.

Merlin made my job even harder. He explained how they rescued the pair in the forest. He suggested that Sophia should stay in the room next to Arthur's room. Idiot. Of course, the girl had the upper hand and easily charmed the prince. This makes her even more dangerous. I made my way to Morgana's chambers. With a light rap on the door, Gwen answered. I walked in and made my way over to the window.

"So it seems the girl can be an issue," I stated. My voice was laced with annoyance.

"I knew I wasn't crazy," she paused, "Alexandra, who is she?"

"Her name is Sophia Tirmawr. Arthur rescued her from the woods."

"She can't stay here," Morgana said defensively.

"I know, but Arthur seems to fancy her which will make it harder for us to rid of her."

Gwen interrupted, "I feel like I am missing something."

"Sophia Tirmawr may be a threat to Arthur's life," Morgana replied.

"Morgana, I made a stronger sleeping draft for you. I fear that until I deal with the girl your mind will trick you." I handed the vile to Gwen.

"You know something else," She stared at me.

"I will share what I know at another time. For now, I have to deal with the threat." I left the ladies and made my way back to the chambers. I needed to see if I could find an illustration of the staff in a magic studies book. I found a book and started flipping through the pages. With no luck, I grabbed five more books and sat down at the table.

"Is there something specific you are looking for?" Gaius questioned.

"Yes, do you recall the staff that both of the strangers were holding? I believe it to be magic. I am not sure which book to find the identification of magic folk."

"The third book you have should hold some answers." I reached for the book and began to read. Merlin came inside covered with rotten vegetables. "Merlin!" Gaius exclaimed, "What did you do this time?"

"Arthur wanted so alone time with Sophia, so he asked me to lie to the King." Disgust crossed my face. How dare Arthur ask that of Merlin?

"Merlin, you clot pole, Sophia is a threat to Arthur. I believe both her and her father are creatures of magic. How could you not tell from their outfits and staffs?"

"And you are just telling me this now?" Merlin matched my tone.

"I've been busy. Morgana had another vision and in her vision, Sophia drowns Arthur in a lake." Merlin rubbed his forehead and Gaius joined me at the table. "Gaius, can you try to find the staff? I will be back." He nodded and I slid the book over to him. "And Merlin, you need to bathe because you stink." I joked.

I slowly walked inside the guest's chambers. I saw the staff and closely examined it. It was magic for sure and I began to read the writing. Something about life. I felt a presence behind me and I was right. It was Sophia's father.

"Sorry, sir. Sophia asked me to grab her cape. The door was open so I was just trying to retrieve that for her."

"That lie would work if this were her room," He angrily said and his eyes flashed red. Interesting.

"Right, silly me." I exited and ran back to Gaius.  I bumped into Sophia instead. Why me, honestly?

She reached her hand out, "Alexandra, Merlin's sister. I'm Sophia."

I did not engage in her welcoming behavior. "I'm aware. I have to admit if I was trying not to get caught with magic, I certainly would not carry a staff with it."

Her expression changed, but she kept up the act. "My staff isn't magic."

"Don't try and make me a fool."

"You will do that yourself, Alexandra."

"Stay away from him; I would hate for you to get hurt."

"Is that a threat? Jealous isn't an attractive trait in a woman."

"I'm not jealous. Simply protecting the prince from selfish magic users like yourself," I said bitterly.

"And what because you protect the prince that makes your cause different?" She snapped at me and then continued down the hall. She was right in a sense. Would I get too obsessed with the idea of protecting Arthur that I would make selfish decisions? No, she was trying to get under my skin. I am sacrificing everything just to protect him and the future.

The next day Arthur and Sophia snuck out again and Merlin was in the stocks. I've been such an idiot. I should have prevented them from going out. What if she is placing a spell on him? I have the advantage yet I feel so helpless. I must be more on guard. Hours later, I spied from the hall where Arthur's chambers were. The pair went in and when Sophia came out, her father was waiting for her. They whispered and I could not make anything out. However, Sophia retired to her chamber and her father sped away. I followed him and was not familiar with where we were going at all. Could I be making a mistake? Maybe I should have brought Merlin with me.