The Labyrinth of Gedref Part 2

Alexandra's Point of View:

Gwen and I watched as a father was being chased through the stalls of Camelot for looting. The people were starving and becoming like animals to survive. I started to wonder if the Anhora would actually test Arthur in order to save this kingdom. Gwen nudged my shoulder and I stared in the same direction. Water dripped slowly from the well. We rushed over with a bucket. Gwen pushed on the handle and water abundantly poured from the spout. The kingdom enjoyed the fresh water and quenched our thirst. Merlin greeted Gaius and I as we finished our third glass of water.

"Arthur wishes to speak with you, Alex," Merlin said.

"Me?" I asked looking around stupidly. Why would Arthur want to see me?

"He apparently needs your wisdom that I lack," he said quoting Arthur directly. I chuckled leaving behind the two as I made my way to the prince's chambers. I knocked and entered at Arthur's approval. I bowed slightly before awkwardly shuffling by the table where he was seated.

"The sand cleared out of the well and water flowed back in, it doesn't make sense," he stated.

"The Anhora said you would be tested and if the tests are done correctly the curse will slowly lift. What decisions have you made in the past day?"

"Well, last night I planned to catch this Anhora. What does that even mean? Anyway, we caught a looter. He said it was for his three children. I decided to let him go and gave him a sack he attempted to take."

"Maybe that was a test and you passed," I cheered.

"He did say that I showed great kindness and that it would come with its own reward."

"So... do you now believe that the curse is from you slaying the unicorn?"

"My father taught me never to trust a sorcerer and neither should you, Alexandra." I sighed shaking my head. This would take some time to override his father's teachings. I turned to leave upset that he could see his people starving and still not take the blame. "Alex..." he called out.

"Yes, Arthur?"

"Do you really believe that I am responsible for the curse?"

"I'm afraid so."

"We leave tomorrow for the forest," he commanded.

In the morning, Arthur and I were accompanied by Merlin as we raced through the forest after the cloaked man. We had lost Arthur for he was faster than my brother and I. When we found Arthur, he was trying to kill the Anhora.

"Arthur!" I yelled a bit disappointed. He was on the ground. Merlin and I rushed by his side.

The wizard spoke with great power, "You have shown that you would kill a man to defend your pride, for that you have failed the test and Camelot will punished."

"My people have done nothing!" Arthur cried in defeat.

"Your people's suffering is not my doing. It is yours." He said before he vanished.

The last of the grain had rotted and the prince's face was full of guilt. Merlin and I decided to counsel with Gaius. He told us we would have to make sure Arthur didn't do anything rash. We could only imagine the guilt he was carrying. Merlin and I both knew that Arthur's heart was good and in the end, he would not allow his pride to win over his starving subjects. I told Merlin to find Arthur and be with him at this time which Merlin complied. Waiting until Merlin was gone, I asked Gaius if trying to find Anhora and talking to him would be a good idea. Gaius agreed but warned me to be careful. I ran through the dense forest now realizing my decision was rash because I was officially lost. I sat on a rock that was less crowded by the trees. I looked around in hopes the wizard would come to me.