The Labyrinth of Gedref Part 1

Alexandra's Point of View:

After crafting the remedies needed for the next two days, I decided to go into the town and adventure through the markets. It has been a while since I have experienced Camelot's culture. It was one of the reasons I was so passionate about moving here, but the threats against Arthur's life were an easy distraction. I placed the cork back on the bottle of rosemary before returning it to its rightful place. Humming, I cleaned off the workshop table so Gaius wouldn't be troubled. I glanced into the tiny mirror on the nightstand in my room which I still unfortunately share with Merlin. I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear and smiled. I skipped out of the bedroom and trotted down the swirly staircase. I made it to the main level and left using the servants' entrance. Every time I saw the little city, I was in awe. Camelot had shined in glory like the city of gold. Excitement filling my body, I rushed to the markets. I examined books of science and literature, jewelry that I could never afford, and fresh produce. I glanced up to see Leon across from me at a stall that was selling paintings. Leon and I were friends. He taught me how to fight with a sword properly and he was easy to get along with. He may be shy, but he had a sense of humor as well as being super sweet. After gazing at his golden locks for a bit, I made my way over to him.

"A beautiful lady standing on a row boat in the middle of the lake makes quite an intriguing painting. I wonder about the story it tells." I said making my presence known.

Leon glanced down at me and smiled, "Lovely to see you too, Alexandra."

"What painting captured your attention, Leon?"

"This one," he said pointing to a portrait of a child whose face was split. The left half was a depiction of an angel's features whereas the right side was the features of a demon. "What do you think it represents?" These are the type of conversations Leon and I had. He was older and wiser. We match in that way somehow.

I studied the portrait for a moment longer before answering. "I think it represents our inner battle. We consistently are put in positions where we have to make a choice that reflects good and bad even as children. However, we cannot be one or the other. We are both because we are human."

He looked at me amazed by the detail. "And what if the split isn't even? One side is more powerful than the other. The portrait is evenly split."

"True, but I think children are naive to the reality of the world. Children aren't bad or good. They are split in the middle because they have not been influenced by behavior. Whereas, when we are older we have been influenced and shaped to have the opinions of our instructors. That's when the balance can be tipped for the better or the worse." I finished staring at the portrait imaging it to be Mordred. I wondered if my opinion applied to him too since the dragon predicts he will be the one to destroy Arthur. I know it applied to Arthur. His father shaped him into a mini Uther, but hopefully not entirely. There is still light in Arthur.

Leon gazed into my eyes as if he was fighting the urge to question me more. "You are wise for your age. I have never met a woman who thinks and analyzes in ways you do." I blushed not expecting the compliment.

"Oh, thank you," I bashfully replied. "I believe Arthur and Merlin will be returning from their hunt," I stated not wanting the moment to end, but afraid to let it happen.

"Ah, yes. My lady," He teased holding out his arm for me. I giggled linking my arm in his as we made our way back into the castle.

It was close to dusk when Merlin returned to our chambers. Gaius and I were talking about mystical creatures and what truly existed. Gaius didn't talk much about his past, but if we talked long enough about magic he would slowly open up. When Merlin walked in, you could sense the gloom he carried. I patted the spot next to me.