(S2) The Curse of Cornelius Sigan Part 1

Alexandra's Point Of View:

Once I recovered, Merlin told me how I actually survived. The bargain was a life for a life, so he took Nimueh's and the balance was restored. It was weird. I wasn't truly dead, but my body was unresponsive. I heard fragments of what people said around me specifically the part where Arthur said he needed me. It has been on replay in my mind. For the past week, King Uther ordered men to mine below the castle in hopes of finding treasure. It made it impossible to sleep at night with the loud banging that rang throughout the whole castle. I was tossing and turning when Merlin tugged the covers off my body and motioned for me to follow him. I wanted to punch him for ruining my comfortable state, but curiously I threw a dress over my nightgown and followed him out. Gaius was already changed in his robes. My brother led us through the halls of Camelot and down the stairs and slopes to the mine. Merlin was the first to walk in followed by Gaius and I. The physician and I gasped at the tomb in awe of the riches and history. Merlin said that someone was already telling the King of their discovery. Torches reflected off of the raven statues that surrounded the tombstone. In the middle of the engraved man's body, there was an ultramarine crystal that glowed with magic.

"Do you know whose tomb it is?" the young warlock questioned.

"Not sure," the physician replied staring at the raven statue.

"Do you think it might be cursed?" Merlin asked. I took a step forward captivated by the glowing crystal. My eyes darted down as I felt a pressure plate sink. Out of the raven's mouth shot an arrow heading straight for my face. Merlin being much more experienced with his magic shielded me with a golden plate. The arrow bounced off the plate leaving a knick in the center. My expression was funny to look at for I saw my life flash before my eyes. My mouth hung open shocked.

"I owe you, Merlin," I graciously thanked my brother. Uther's voice could be heard in the distance talking to someone else. I watched as Merlin's concentration failed and the plate rolled toward the entrance of the tomb. He scrambled after it only to run into Uther who muttered the phrase idiot under his breath. I tried to hide my glare from the King. Merlin was so much more powerful and clever than he was ever given credit. The King's presence always made me feel uncomfortable. I moved to Merlin's side just as Arthur had left it.

"See Gaius. There is a treasure to be found under Camelot," The King proudly stated. "Which of my predecessors do I have to thank for all of this?" Uther happily picked and examined through the gold bracelets and vases. Gaius picked up a dusty little box and examined what it contained. I did not touch anything for fear another trap would be released in my tired state.

"What happened to this guy?" Arthur asked us about a man whose shocked impression matched mine earlier.

"He must have unwittingly triggered a trap," I stated staring at Merlin still thankful that it wasn't my fate too.

"To detect grave robbers," Arthur added.

"Well, there's plenty in here that people would want to steal," The King now directed his attention to Arthur, "Have them secure the tomb. Guarding it is your responsibility, Arthur." I rolled my eyes. Uther was a cold-hearted man with little exception from that definition. He valued pride, money, and power.

The next morning, we continued our duties as normal. Gaius asked me to fill in his role for the day because he was trying to discover whose tomb it was. I excitedly agreed to learn about the responsibility of being a physician rather than an assistant. My journey began at the lower end of the city. I knocked on the door of the house that Gaius had described to me. It was small with a tan exterior. The wooden door creaked open and I was welcomed by an elderly woman. She allowed me to enter after I said that I was filling in for the physician. She was suffering from hair loss and due to her age which was common. I had drafted a remedy of argan, tree, and rosemary oil. I showed her how to rub it on her head and instructed her on when to use it. It was late afternoon by the time I finished with the lower town. I was sweaty and exhausted. How did Gaius do this he's at least double my age. My body pushed me towards the main square to continue my physician journey. The sound of swords clashing caught my attention. I watched as Leon was the instructor while Arthur was gone. The sun hit his golden curls and made him look like a god. I must have been staring too long because he turned and smiled at me. I smiled back and my cheeks flushed from embarrassment from being caught staring at the handsome man. I waved before entering the next house.

It was dusk by the time I had finished all the house visits. I opened the door to the physician's chambers and sat down next to Gaius who was peering over the table comparing drawings.

"How was being me for a day?" he asked observing my sweaty and worn-out features.

"It's exhausting. People talk too much about their lives or their problems. I don't know how you do it," I replied out of breath. He chuckled returning to his world of books and drawings.

"I found this inscription in the scepter," he stated. Merlin had just walked back in and seemed upset. When I asked him, he said that he saved Arthur's life just for another person to get the credit for it. Truly, I felt bad for Merlin. He worked so hard and never got any recognition. He swung his arm around my shoulder as we tried to read the foreign language Gaius showed us.

"What language is that?" the boy inquired.

"I don't know," the physician replied, "Sigan would have known many languages."

"Sigan?" I asked.

"It's his tomb."

"Who's he?"

"Merlin, he was the most powerful sorcerer to have lived."

"Really?" we both questioned.

"You two didn't grow up in Camelot, but for those who did Cornelius Sigan was a figure of nightmare."

"As bad as Uther is," I teased.

"Worse."

Merlin wondered, "Why?"

"Sigan had the power to change day into night, turn tides, and legend has it Sigan's powers helped build Camelot itself."

"If he was that powerful, what happened?" I asked.

"The King at that time ordered his execution."

"If he's dead, why are you so worried?" Merlin questioned.

"Sigan couldn't bear the thought that his wealth and power would die with him, so he became obsessed with finding a way to defeat life itself."

My expression turned sour, "You think he might have found a way."

"Let's hope not, for all our sakes."