To Kill the King Part 2

Alexandra's Point of View:

Merlin splashed water on my face. I jolted up with a bitter expression. I haven't slept well in the past week with all the commotion. He looked scared.

"What is it, Merlin? I assume you didn't pour water on my face for fun."

"Morgana met with Tauren and she wants to help him kill Uther," he said.

"So let them. Uther's fault for being a tyrant."

"But it would kill Arthur," Merlin tried to convince me. It seemed it worked because Arthur was not exactly ready to be King and with his father tragically dead would not make peace. "I already talked to the dragon and he wants Arthur's reign to begin."

"The dragon has his own interest. I don't think Arthur is ready to carry the burden by himself yet."

"So you think I should intervene, let Uther live, even after all he's done."

"Yes, I don't think now is the right time," I paused observing Merlin was still in distress, "What else is the matter?"

"I'm fine," he replied.

"I'm no fool, brother. I know something else is bothering you."

"Morgana. I didn't think she would do something like this."

"She's hurt. Morgana is angry. She has magic Merlin and she feels betrayed. The same way we do when Uther acts against magic."

"Right."

"You like her, don't you? And it upsets you that she chose to act differently than you would have."

"Huh, no I don't."

"Yes, you do! You're grinning!" I said excitedly.

"You are too observant. How did you know?"

"I had my suspicions at the fest for Bayard." We laughed and I told him that Morgana and Uther were planning to go on a father-daughter trip. It would be best if he followed. 

In the meantime, I was with Gwen and together we were fixing Morgana's room. I had no idea if Morgana was angry enough to go through with killing Uther. No person was ever truly evil or good. The King's portrait was just 90% evil. He still cared for his son and ward. I hummed as I made the lady's bed. In my thoughts, I didn't realize that her maidservant had left. 

"I didn't know that you were a maidservant now," the prince teased. I turned around surprised by his appearance. 

"Shouldn't you be doing prince duties right now such as training with the knights? I'm sure you could use it."

"Ha, is that so? I'll have you know we just finished with training." If I was paying closer attention I would have realized the strings of his white shirt were undone and the crown of sweat on his forehead. His hair was disheveled but in a good way. He was propped up against the bedpost across from me. "Can I ask you something?"

I glanced up at him forgetting the task at hand, "Yeah, as long as it's not about you confessing your love to Merlin."

"Pff," he chuckled, "How would you feel if your father was murdered? Would you want revenge?"

"If this is about Gwen, then I can assure you she doesn't want revenge."

"No, hypothetically. You are the wise one after all."

"Well, I never really knew my father. But I wouldn't want revenge or to kill the murderer. What does that solve? It would just make me the same as him. And I'm not the same as him." He nodded. He probably feels guilty about Guinevere's father. "What about you? I mean your father is the King."

He stared into my eyes as if he was debating what to say, "I would be heartbroken. I would be angry, but I have a kingdom to take care of and my people would come first." It seemed like he matured a lot since Merlin and I's first encounter with him. Gwen had returned with Morgana's fresh laundry. Arthur made his goodbye. It had dawned on me that the prince and I being seen alone together was not a brilliant idea. My best friend flashed me a smile hinting at the man who just left. I rolled my eyes and went back to fluffing the lady's pillows.

The tale of Morgana saving Uther's life flew through the castle. Even though Merlin did more work, he had fought off the goons. He handed Gaius the stone of alchemy. It had to be destroyed or hidden. It wasn't safe in Camelot especially if we intended to hide it. Gaius and I hugged Merlin congratulating him about saving the day.

"It was just background work," he joked.

"Don't be so modest Merlin," Gaius encouraged.

I added, "Thanks for being there Merlin. We're proud of you." Merlin headed to bed exhausted from the spying and fighting. Gaius and I enjoyed our meal together as we talked about recent events which always turns into a conversation about magic.