The Beginning of the End Part 1

Alexandra's Point of View:

I heard the warning bells. I left the chambers and made my way to the square. There weren't too many people there just knights. Help me. I heard. Help me. It was the same connection that I had with the great dragon. My head turned to a little boy in a turquoise cloak. He was hidden behind a stone. I understood now that the little boy was a druid on the run. Why else would the knights be on a hunt? The knights started walking in a different direction and I knew I had to act now. Run! Run to me!  I said back. The little boy began to run to me, but I observed that he had an injury to his arm. The knights caught sight of him and chased after him. The druid reached me and I picked him up. If he continued to run he would slow us down and be exhausted. I ducked into a corridor and up the stairs. Turning right at the statue, I came to a halt. The knights could be heard racing and giving commands. I had no option of escape. Thinking fast, I rushed inside Morgana's chambers and closed the door. 

"Alexandra, have you forgotten how to knock," the ward joked.

"There are guards after him. I didn't have another option." I said desperately out of breath. For a moment Morgana and the boy made a connection. 

"In there," she motioned toward the closet. I could hear the conversation between the guard and Morgana; however, I was distracted by the boy collapsing in my arms. I ripped a piece of my dress off from the inner layer. I asked Gwen to fetch some water. She returned and handed me the pail of water. After cleaning his wound, I used the torn piece of material from my dress as a bandage.

"Gwen, would you find me Merlin?"

"Of course." The execution of the older gentleman was about to start. Morgana was watching with the window open. I knew the boy would be heartbroken if he heard his other druid hanged. 

"Morgana, why don't you close the window? He doesn't have a shirt on and I don't want him to get cold." She realized what I was genuinely implying. Shutting the windows, she turned toward me. Merlin entered the room and saw the situation. We all knew that harboring the child meant Uther would see us as a traitor. Morgana and Merlin looked through the window to see that the druid had been killed. Another innocent person was killed because of Uther's hatred of magic. Merlin returned to Gaius's chambers after sharing a look with Morgana. I stayed with the druid boy and held him by my side. I sent Morgana to get some more water claiming he was looking awfully pale. She did as I said. It was weird giving the king's ward orders.

"Hey... I know you are scared, but I'm your friend." He stared at me. I pointed to his tattoo. "I recognized the symbol on your chest. It's of the druid nation." Silence. "I'm Alexandra and I have magic like you." The truth felt vile and dangerous. I was stupid to tell the boy, but I needed his trust. "See..." I unwrapped his bandage and scanned my hand over his wound. 

He met my eye and smiled. "I..I'm... Mordred." 

"It's lovely to meet you, Mordred." He quickly closed his eyes. I was confused at first. I feared he had gotten ill, but Morgana closed the chamber door. He didn't want her to know that he was up. 

"He's getting better, but I should stay with him tonight if that is okay with you."

"You may. However, I must report to supper in an hour or so." I nodded my head and held the young boy to my chest. She left for dinner not long after that. 

He opened his eyes again. "Well, hello again," I teased. He smiled and attempted to sit up. 

"Is he dead?" I looked away debating if I should tell him the truth.

"He is," I observed Mordred. A single teardrop fell from his eye and it tore at my heart. "Do you have other druids waiting for you? Is there someone I can take you home to?"

"In the forest, they wait."

"I am going to get you out of here alive, but I need you to trust me." He nodded his head. "Let's try to drink some water." He complied. There was a rap on the door. I panicked. Morgana wasn't here and Gwen was dismissed for the day. 

"Morgana," I heard Arthur call. I'm such an idiot. Of course, Uther would be on the search for a little boy still. I stayed still with Mordred in my arms. "Morgana," He called again more impatiently this time. He entered abruptly, followed by a group of guards. The group scanned through her belongings. I was getting extremely nervous. I could hear footsteps approaching. I hid the boy behind me and piled Morgana's dirty sheets on top of us. The curtains opened and surprisingly the sheets we were hiding underneath were not lifted. After Arthur and his companions departed from Morgana's chambers, I let out a sigh of relief and embraced the boy in my arms.