The Poisoned Chalice Part 1

Alexandra's Point of View:

Today is a big day when the kingdom of Mercia and Camelot would sign off on a peace treaty. The Great Hall was quite crowded with both the knights of Camelot and the knights of Mercia. Merlin and I were on the left side of the hall. From this side, we had an excellent view of everyone. I scanned the hall because today would be the day if someone were to strike. My search was easily interrupted by the king. The ceremony quickly began as King Uther welcomed Lord Bayard.

"The treaty we sign today marks an end to war and a beginning to a new friendship between our people," King Uther said. The kings firmly held each other's arms leaving the people around them to slowly applaud.

Most servants including me were tasked with carrying luggage for the new guests we had and readying the rooms. However, we were far too occupied. Merlin, Gaius, and I were walking in the hall when a servant girl rounded the corner and ran into Merlin. It was obvious to me and Gaius that Merlin thought the girl was pretty. Although her hair was wrapped in a blue turban, it shone a chocolate brown. Her eyes were like the morning sky and her lips the color of a rose. I had to admit I would be attracted to her, but instead, I was envious. With short introductions and Merlin returning a pillow Kara that she dropped, we continued walking.

"Shouldn't you be busy running the place?" Gaius teased.

"No, he's too busy giving googly eyes at the servant girl," I joked. He lightly shoved me and I giggled in response. Merlin was honestly just too easy to pick on.  While Merlin was helping Arthur get ready, I decided I would visit Morgana since the feast was later. I did not need help finding her chambers this time. I approached the door and rapped on it lightly.

"Come in," I heard her say. I shuffled in to see Gwen styling the lady's hair. As my eyes lay upon her, I was in awe. Her dress was a deep purple that clung to her skin. Blue sheer materials raced down her arms with a gold bracelet fastening the material to her arms. The same blue color was a gem on her gold belt that showed off her waist. I wish I could own something close to the dresses she owned.

"Morgana, your dress is stunning and compliments your skin so well!" I excitedly said.

"Oh Alexandra, you're such a doll."

"You'll impress all the knights," I commented.

"I'm not trying to impress any knight," she said knowingly. I looked to her for a further explanation, but it was clear that she was gonna keep this lover a secret.

"Would you mind holding this piece of hair Alex?" Gwen asked. I complied and made my way over to the two girls. We talked for a while until it was about time for the feast. Gaius and I stood behind Morgana and Merlin was across from us. When I saw what he was wearing, I stifled a laugh. He had a huge red hat on with an even bigger red feather extending from it. A red cape engulfed his body. It was nice to see him in something. I laughed this time, and Gaius nudged me to be quiet. Merlin ripped the silly hat off his head, when he made contact with Morgana. She smiled giggling at him too. A thought crept into my mind, but I pushed it away. Lord Bayard signed the treaty. The room erupted in applause. Bayard began his speech. Arthur warned me about how boring they can be, but at least Arthur got to sit.

"People of Camelot, for a great many years we have been mortal enemies. The blood of our men stains the ground from the walls of Camelot to the gates of Mercia. And although we still remember those who have died, we must not let anymore join them. As a symbol of our goodwill and our newfound friendship, I present these ceremonial goblets to you, Uther, and to your son, Arthur in the hope that our friendship may last." I saw Merlin leave the room, and that worried me. Merlin was a lovely person, but he wasn't always the smartest. I tried to follow him, but Gaius stopped me. I do not think Gaius saw Merlin leave. Lord Bayard was still talking, but all I could worry about was what did Kara want with Merlin. Everyone started to rise which brought my focus back. I smiled as Arthur tried to drink from his goblet, but Lord Bayard just kept talking.