Excalibur Part 2

Alexandra's Point of View:

Sweat covered my face as I approached the arena. This was it. I'm glad that the Great Dragon decided to help me and he enchanted a sword that could slay the dead. Excalibur. I smiled down at the sword as it glistened in the sunlight. I blocked out the noise of the crowd. I needed to focus. I swung my sword in a rotation and readied my stance. Kill the knight and save the day. It seemed simple enough, but that was a lie. The Black Knight took offense first. I dodged his beginning blow and steadied myself. You can do this. I returned his blows with my own. Push. One stab and the creature would die once again. The Knight began to use more aggression. He easily knocked the oversized helmet off of my head. I grunted out of frustration and exhaustion. The crowd gasped in unison. Focus. I mumbled a quick prayer and used my frustration to my advantage. Skillfully, I knocked his helmet off. Shock covered my face as the lack of a helmet revealed a skeleton. Kill. I knew that I did not have much time to strike. I spun around my opponent and swiftly pierced Excalibur through the skeleton. Instantly, the Black Knight exploded and I shielded my face away. After a moment, the audience began to holler and whoop. It is not common for a woman to fight with a sword and win. I grinned and Morgana rushed to my side.

"Oh my Alex, you gave me a heart attack," she exaggerated. Gwen hugged me too.

"I'm glad we have a strong woman such as yourself protecting Camelot," she stated.

"My thanks to both of you." Merlin and Gaius rushed in not long after and wrapped me in another hug. The drum sounded again. I faced the direction of the king. It was time to see if I would be rewarded or shamed and punished.

"You have done Camelot a great deed, and for this, you shall be rewarded." Arthur stepped down from his seat. He stared at me as if I was a stranger. The crowd began to disperse. He continued towards me.

"Alexandra, you're a great fighter." I blushed at the complement.

"Well, I have Leon to thank for that."

"He taught you?" Arthur asked.

"Yes and no, Camelot and its prince seem to face a lot of threats. I figured that it would be a smart idea if I knew how to defend myself, although I use to fight Will back at the village."

"Yes, it is." He paused as if he wanted to say more. "Thank you for risking your life for me and my kingdom," He said placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Well..." I stuttered.

"Just promise me to stay out of danger," He joked.

"I'd hate to make a promise I can't keep. I would be upset boosting your ego," I teased. He walked me back to the castle.

There was one more thing I had to do before I could sleep. I made my way down the twisted steps. A torch in my left hand.

"Hello," I called out.

"So it seems you survived," the Great Dragon spoke.

"Yes, and I believe I have you to thank for that."

"Ah, young witch. You still owe me my freedom," he spoke with confidence.

"And I will when the moment is right." I'm not sure what freeing the great dragon would do. What consequences would Merlin and I face? It is only fair because although his poetic wisdom could be annoying, it truly was helpful.