The Begining of an End Part 2

Alexandra's Point of View:

Morgana let us stay the night. I woke up before dawn. I would try to make his escape now. I held him in my arms as he slept. I changed him into Merlin's clothes. I left as quietly as possible so I would not disturb Morgana. I already had my excuse in my mind in case I were to get caught by a guard. I carefully sneaked into Gaius's chambers to grab a basket. Although Mordred was too large to fit entirely into the basket, I thought that by throwing a cloth over it, his body would be sufficiently concealed. Leaving Gaius's chamber behind, I made my way to the servant's entrance and exit in the castle. Successfully, I left the castle. Now, I just had to get to the forest. Not many townsfolk were outside, and it was easy to spot all the knights. You are going to collect herbs just like any other day. It was hard to convenience myself when I knew the consequences of getting caught. A guard near the exit of town stopped me. 

"It's a bit early to be collecting herbs now ain't it," he asked suspiciously. 

"I have a lot more to collect today because we are very low," I lied.

He paused and moved closer to me, asking why my basket was already full. Without hesitation, he lifted the cloth and uncovered a sleeping druid. Before he could react, I cast a spell on him with anger. I grinned in triumph as he allowed me to leave Camelot. Once I was out of sight, I retrieved Mordred from the basket.

"Hey, I need you to help me find your friends."

"Follow me." We dashed through the forest. It wasn't long before we stumbled upon the druids. 

"Oh, Mordred!" one ushered toward the boy. "Thank you, Elspeth!"

"It was my honor." Despite feeling curious about the name the woman had just called me, I chose to ignore it. On my way back to Camelot, I picked up some herbs that were useless. Despite the curfew imposed by Uther, I tried to sneak in unnoticed but was quickly apprehended at the gates. I hoped it was only for breaking curfew, and not for the fact that I had helped a druid. I could handle the consequences of breaking curfew, but being accused of aiding magic users was a different matter entirely.

Uther addressed me, "Do you know why you're here, girl?" I was forced to my knees and looked up at the king. 

"Yes, I broke curfew."

"Well, it seems you aren't as foolish as you appear to be. Were you aiding the druid boy, then?" The king was close, and the piercing gaze of Merlin and Gaius could be felt on the back of my head. However, I had to remain calm and confident to prove my innocence.

"I'm not used to the curfew since it was only recently imposed. I had to gather specific herbs for certain patients, as I had none left in my inventory. I wanted to get a head start on my long day, so I left to collect the most crucial herbs." I hoped this explanation would be enough to convince him not to throw me in the stocks as he does with Merlin. "If I find out that you helped the druid boy escape, then I will have you burned or hanged, understand."

"Yes, your majesty." With that, I was dismissed and immediately made my way to Gaius's chamber. 

The door swung open. I didn't think Uther would find evidence this quickly. However, it turned out to be Arthur. He stormed toward me. He grabbed my forearm and pulled me close to him. I gasped at his touch and lifted my head up toward his.

"What were you thinking? If he found out you helped the druid boy escape, then you'll  be dead."

"I have no idea what you are talking about. I was clumsy and forgot the curfew. I should have collected herbs later." I played dumb. This made him more angry and he tightened his grip around my arm.

"Do you think I'm an idiot? I know you were under the sheets in Morgana's room and the boy was with you."

"How?" I stared dumbfounded.

"Believe it or not, I'm a great tracker and you leaving this morning to help him escape added to it."

"Why aren't you arresting me, then? Send me to be burned or hanged."

"Alexandra, you did what I would have done. I would not see that little boy be hanged." We stayed like this for a bit. Just staring at each other. "Alex, I don't want to lose you. That could have happened if you were caught." He looked down toward the floor and released my arm.

"Arthur," my hand guided his face to face mine, "I don't plan on getting caught anytime soon. You don't have to worry." I smiled brightly. 

"Just promise me you won't do something like that again."

"I'm afraid that's a promise that I just can't make." He turned to leave and started toward the door. "Arthur..." He glanced back at me. "Thanks for watching out for me."

"Well, someone has to be the smarter one. Otherwise, we would be at the hands of MERLIN," he exaggerated.I chuckled softly and, after bidding farewell to Arthur, retired to bed. Sharing the floor with a fugitive had left me feeling completely drained.