Lancelot Part 1

Alexandra's Point of View:

I was out picking herbs for Gaius such as sourwood and witch hazel. I always found that one funny because of the irony because the word witch had a bad connotation in Camelot. All of a sudden, I heard rapid screeches. I glanced up from looking at the ground to see a huge creature with a beak and wings heading toward me. I darted away from the creature and it followed. I was the prey and he was definitely doing his job as the predator. I turned my head to see if the creature was gaining on me which was a huge mistake. Tripping I fell to the ground. I began backing away from the creature with my hands. The beast was towering over me. I used my magic to cause a branch to fall not far from the beast which distracted it momentarily. I continued crawling away attempting to scrabble to my feet. The monster was not too far from me again with speed on its side. A man jumped from the shadows and helped me to my feet. He grabbed my hand leading me away from the creature. Running for our lives through the wood. The beast with wings flew over us and landed right in front of the mysterious man. He immediately drew his sword slicing at the animal. His sword broke against the creature causing a mixture of fear and adrenaline to course through my veins. I grabbed his hand and led us away from the neighboring village. This beast is of magic and can only be killed by such. I slowed and pulled us behind a tree.

"Listen to me, I'll distract the beast, but you need to run," I said urgently.

"I'm not leaving you behind," he said. I know I would not be able to rid of him, so I'll take the consequence that he knows I have magic. However, there was no noise. Had the creature disappeared? I looked to my savior to see he was exhausted and wounded. I reached my hands to his face and said, "I need you to say with me. I can help you." He complied and I rushed him back to Camelot. I was lost from the wild chase, but I incanted a spell in my head that showed me the way back. I pushed past people and guards. I lugged his body up the steps to the chambers.

"Gaius," I said out of breath, "I need your help." Gaius saw the wounded man and began to work on him. I took the opportunity to research this creature of magic. Merlin came in with no duties since Arthur and Uther were out surveying the attacked village by the creature.

"Gaius, do you have a book on magical creatures?"

"Yes, but why would you need that?"

"I was attacked in the forest and this man saved my life. He tried to use his blade to fend off the beast, but the iron broke against the skin of the creature."

"Second level, third shelf, about eight books over." I followed Gaius's directions to find the book. It was quite large and rather dusty. The last time this was picked up was the battle with the Afanc. I brought the book to the dinner table where Merlin sat.

"I must thank him for protecting you. I don't know what I would do without you," he said.

As I flipped through the pages trying to find the familiar creature I replied, "Of course, I have to also. He passed out on our way back. I would rather not think about not having you in my life, Merlin. I would be very heartbroken." I smiled at him looking up from my reading.

"Here," I pointed. Gaius joined Merlin's side and I flipped the book in their direction. "The creature is a Griffin." I forgot about the book when I heard the voice of my savior. "Hello, sir. You are alright. Gaius, the physician is taking care of you." I offered a warm smile.

"Hello," he replied.

"I must say thank you for helping me out in the woods. I'm Alexandra and my brother over there is Merlin."

"I'm Lancelot."

"Why don't we get you moving a bit to see how it feels?" I helped him get to the window and propped him against it. Gaius and I left Merlin and Lancelot to start our daily visits with the sick or injured people of Camelot.