THE NEXT MOVE

Summary:- Both Sides Prepares For The Battles To Come.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

299 AC

RIVERLANDS

RIVERRUN

ROBB STARK

Robb sat in the Godswood of Riverrun, sharpening his blade while leaning against the Weirwood tree, his mind alight with questions once more. At his side, Grey Wind lay down on the ground, eyes closed as it let itself rest.

He was praying for his father's soul and all the innocents that had perished due to the ambitions of the House Lannisters.

'King Robb.' He snorted at the title his men had given him.

Gripping the handle of his blade, Robb raised it up to his eyes and looked at himself along the flat edge. He barely recognised himself, his beard had grown and he looked less like a boy and more of a man. He felt like one too, the three battles he had fought seemed to have aged him, the weight of the guilt he bore at sending men into battle and dying on his orders was heavy.

"Robb?" Looking up, he saw his mother entering the Godswood, Ser Brynden and his uncle Edmure trailing behind him. The sight of his uncle reminded him that he was not just the King In The North, but The King In The Trident too. It had been Jason Mallister soon followed by Tytos Blackwood who had proclaimed him as such.

'I don't know whether to be glad or angered to have earned the respect of both men to such an extent that they wish me to be their King.' He had tried to refuse of course, on both accounts. However, his bannermen didn't listen, to drunk on both wine and victory. The cheers of, "The King In The North" and, "The King In The Trident" had spread throughout Riverrun, echoing across the surrounding lands into the army camped outside.

Now here he was, sat in the Godswood deep in thought, seeking the guidance of the Old Gods. He couldn't tell if they approved of his bannermens actions or were disapproving of it. Despite hearing them more often, he could never tell what they felt or thought.

"You can not remain here forever, the lords are asking for you. They wish to discuss what you plan to do next." Catelyn said and Robb frowned.

"Are you okay with this? Okay with me being named king? It's like admit that they're…" He paused unable to finish the sentence. Catelyn moved forwards and took one of his hands in hers.

"Robb." She muttered softly, bringing her son into a hug, which he eagerly returned. "Of course I don't want you to be King, it puts a bigger target on your back. This war is no longer just about rescuing your sister, but for the independence of both The North And The Riverlands."

Robb nodded his head, pulling away from his mother before looking to Edmure and Brynden. "I apologise uncle, great-uncle for my actions."

Brynden just grunted, he didn't blame the lad for being overwhelmed, whereas Edmure just smiled slightly, saying "Don't worry, nephew. I apologise for the actions of both Lord Mallister and Lord Blackwood, I think they got a little overeager and had drank too much wine!"

"No, they knew full well what they were doing. I actually overheard them talking about it as soon as we freed Riverrun. Lord Mallister was even talking about it in whispers with Lord Umber at the end of the Whispering Woods. Don't blame them honestly. An army like ours needs a figurehead, a symbol to rally behind, nothing better than a King!!" Brynden explained and Robb appreciated that the man was never afraid to tell him the truth.

"Well, it seems like I have no choice!" Robb admitted with a sigh, he could see the sense in the decision to name him King. But that didn't mean he had to like it, but he'd certainly use it to his advantage. If what Brynden said was true and he was inclined to believe it was, then being King could help him end this war sooner. He just hoped it didn't come back to bite him in the ass.