INVITATIONS AND CONFESSIONS

300 AC

DORNE

WATER GARDENS

OBERYN MARTELL

A group of riders clad in the yellow and orange of House Martell made their steady trek down the red-stone road for the Water Gardens. The sun overhead was blinding, and the heat caused the ground itself to sizzle, such was Dorne. But within the palace itself was an oasis of fountains and pools that served as a respite from the harsh conditions beyond its walls.

The gates of the Water Gardens were opened and the riders charged into the main courtyard, removing the wraps that protected their faces from the searing heat and sand to reveal the personal guard of Prince Oberyn Martell, who was himself dismounting his horse to throw his riding silks at a waiting squire.

"Prince Oberyn, welcome to the...." began Prince Doran's steward, who walked forward with a bow, only to be silenced by his master's younger brother placing a finger on his lips and walking past him.

"Doran!" Oberyn called, walking through the halls of the Water Gardens as he unwrapped his sweat-stained silks to drop them to the ground as he walked. "Doran!" Oberyn called again and again until he found the large and stalwart Areo Hotah guarding a pavilion where his regal but gout impaired brother was sitting.

"Move aside, Areo." Oberyn said dismissively walking past his brother's Captain to kneel before Doran.

"Brother." Oberyn greeted respectfully, only for Doran to curl his fingers upwards for Oberyn to rise.

"Brother. What brings you here with such haste? Good news, I hope." Doran Martell may have been smaller than his brother, but he commanded more power with his voice than any man in Dorne. He was a true ruler, wise beyond his years and often underestimated by his enemies. Save for a Young Wolf whose message was tucked into Oberyn's belt.

"One might say that." Oberyn smiled, walking towards a small table to pour himself a glass of pure Dornish red. He took a grateful sip from the goblet, before turning back to his brother.

"The Lannisters have fallen. King's Landing is taken by Robb Stark and his army." Oberyn said almost gleefully, causing Doran to raise an eyebrow.

"So quickly? I thought it will take at least a week for the capital to fall" Doran asked curiously causing Oberyn to shake his head as he took another gulp of wine.

They have all heard news about Robb Stark's victory at God's Eye. How he smashed the Lannister army that outnumbered him two to one.

Oberyn had said that the battle was the greatest victory in Westerosi history, greater that even Daeron Targaryen's conquest of Dorne. And while his brother Doran had disagreed on that, he had to admit that the victory was legendary.

"Our spies in the Capital reported that the Tyrells turned their cloaks against the Lannisters, when they saw they were out matched" Oberyn said gleefully "Serves them right".

"You seem overjoyed." Doran noted dryly, causing Oberyn to raise his hands.

"Are you not? Dead Lannisters are what we have always craved brother, and here the Young Wolf has offered us something to bring us into the fold. I say the boy is very smart." Oberyn pulled the letter from his belt and offered it to Doran who unfurled the scroll and read it once before freezing and having to read it several more times.

"To Prince Doran Martell

I'm afraid we've never met.  I am Robb Stark, son of Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell.