INTERLUDE- 2

229 AC

RIVERLANDS

HARRENHAL

TYWIN LANNISTER

Pacing the room as he drank a cup of wine seemed like the right thing to do considering the circumstances in which he had found himself. It wasn't supposed for things to go like this. Yes, he had never underestimated Ned Stark's pup but, in reality, he had hoped the boy at least showed weakness and not the heartless facet he had until then. He hadn't made one mistake so far, except maybe taking Jaime as his prisoner.

Glaring once more at the message his spies had sent, he sighed. How was he supposed to react to it now that things were upside down?.

The Young Wolf still remained undefeated in battle. It had been only a month since Robb Stark had invaded his home and already half of Westerlands had fallen to the Stark forces.

And not only that, his spies also reported trouble in the Vale. Lord Yohn Royce along with Lord Redfort and Waynewood had called their banners in spite of Lady Lysa ordering them of doing so. It seems the Vale will quickly decent in a civil war.

But there is some hope though, Stannis Baratheon is now laying seige to Stroms End and his younger Renly is marching to face him. Hopefully any one of the Baratheon brother will die in this coming battle, giving Tywin the precious time he needed.

He was running out of options though, he can either march to king's landing and save his legacy or he can march back to Westerlands and save Casterly Rock, his home.

Everyday, his lords urged him to march back to the West and deal with the Starks who are now currently ravaging the Westerlands burning fields, towns, villages and putting their people to the sword,the same thing he did to the Riverlands.

Truth be told Tywin was actually impressed, he didn't thought that the honourable son of Eddard Stark would kill innocent people. But it seems that his son is very pragmatic.

While from the outside it seemed cruel, but in the long term it worked very well.
By killing those who resist and treating fairly those who surrendered had an effect. As many castles and towns simple surrendered when the northern army approached them, because in fear of the retribution if they choose to resist.

"We remain where we are" Tywin said firmly with hard eyes daring anyone to change his mind.

"But my Lord" His brother Kevan, who is the only one brave enough to challenge him in this council, protested "King's Landing will not survive an attack, already the city is starving and the small folk are in verge of revolting, the capital will not survive an attack from both inside and outside".

That is true, most of the food shipments in the capital, comes from Riverlands and Reach. With most of the Riverlands now a burnt wasteland and the Tyrells allied with Renly, it is only a matter of time before riots starts in the city.

They had of course tried to purchase food from the free cities, but it was too risky, due to Stannis's naval blockade of Blackwater Bay and too costly as most of the Royal Treasury has been diverted to the war effort.

"And expose our rear to our enemy" Tywin countered, he is not going to leave the safety of Harrenhal when he is surrounded in both sides.

"If not King's Landing then perhaps we should march to Westerlands and kick the Starks from our home, to long had the Wolves infested our home" Lord Flement Brax said and Tywin looks at him like he was a idiot.

"We can't" Kevan said grimly "The Blackfish is guarding the fords of the Trident with an host of at least 10,000 strong and our scouts reported that Lord Edmure is raising another host at Riverrun, we would loose our entire army before we can even reach the borders of the Westerlands".

"And the Golden Tooth is firmly under Stark's control" Tywin continued where his brother had left "So even if we reach the Westerlands, we would be hard pressed to enter it".

"But we have to do something" Ser Adam Marbrand said desperately, and Tywin thought his desperation is justified.

They had all heard the reports of the fall of Ashemark. It is reported that the Stark forces brutally sacked the city and massacred half of the city's population when Lord Damon Marbrand refused to surrender.

But that is not the end of atrocities though. After Ashemark the Stark forces attacked and seized the rich silver mines of Sarsfield.

Ser Corley who was the castellan of Sarsfield instead of surrendering with difnity insulted the Stark King saying him that he was a Northern barbarian.

It is said that Robb Stark promptly shutted the Castellan's mouth permanently, by pouring molten silver, from the mines of Sarsfield itself, on the arrogant Knight's throat killing him brutally.

Stark then promptly set Sarsfield on fire, burning the entire keep to the ground.

Tywin remembered thathe himself was a little disturbed when he read the reports of Ser Corley's fate.

"Stannis and Renly few days from the Capital and the Wolf at our doorstep" Kevan mused.

"Scouts are sure that Robb Stark remains north of Sarsfield" Harys Swift said assuredly.

"The Last time the Scouts assured us, Stark lured us into a trap, destroyed more than half our army, and captured my son Jaime" Tywin said coldly "And now more than half of the Westerlands is under their fingertips".

"He is too close to Casterly Rock" Lord Leo Lefford said alarmed "If it falls into Stark hands, then we will all be doomed"

"It will not fall" Kevan Said assuredly "Casterly Rock can defend itself against an army of 100,000 strong, Stark wouldn't risk to march against the Rock".

"With respect my Lord" Leo said sharply to Kevan "The Golden Tooth could also do that, but Stark captured it all the same, I request you not to underestimate him again".

"He is a boy of five and ten and he has never lost any battle" Tywin said "Lord Lefford is right, Stark will risk anything at any time because he doesn't know enough to be afraid". He looked at his bannermen.

"We have underestimated him long enough, but not anymore" Tywin thought darkly. After dealing with Stannis and Renly he will march west and Kill Robb Stark.

The boy had humiliated him and now he is burning his home. Tywim will make sure to pay the north in kind.

After all, a Lannister always pays his debts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And Done!
Sorry for the short chapter guys, but i am currently facing some personal problems. I will try to update as often as i can, but don't expect daily updates.

So in this chapter, we see the brutality that Robb is displaying in his dealing with the Westerlands. And even Tywin is a little disturbed by how Robb killed Ser Corley, the castellan of Sarsfield.

If you liked this chapter don't forget to leave a comment because always remember reviews are food for writer's soul.